Re: politics and grief

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Don Smith wrote:
> I know politics and this list don't mix very well, so let me just point
> out to Peter that no one has been able to link Iraq with any Al Queda
> operations . . .

I'm not sure that's particularly relevant, given that Al Queda is hardly
the only terrorist group out there (or not-so-out-there).

> . . . so the 'wait until they come here and kill more innocent people'
> comment isn't really applicable in this situation.

Depends how broadly we define "they", I guess.

> I would also point out that Scott Ritter, former US Marine and
> republican (so he doesn't have a lefty agenda, like me ;-)) . . .

And I'm a Canadian, so I don't have a jingoistic American agenda, like
some people might (not necessarily anybody on this list, natch).  ;)  In
fact, immediately after September 11, I apparently alienated a few of my
American friends by endorsing a form of the "root causes" argument.  But
looking at the past is useful only inasmuch as it helps us to plan our
actions in the present so we can achieve the best possible future.

So, like, I'm ambivalent on this whole subject.  But I must admit, I don't
have all that much sympathy for the point of view which says we should
just do nothing.  And I do think there are limits to how far we can allow
our guilt over our countries' past actions to cloud our thinking now.

(I'm trying to speak very broadly here, without getting into specifics.
If someone can't accept even these broad statements in principle, then
there's not much point in even discussing the more specific questions.)

> "I never explain anything."			   - Mary Poppins

Hmmm, are you *endorsing* Mary's position here?  If so, would it be fair
to ask if your government could ever take the same position?  ;)

 If true love never did exist how could we know its name? -- Sam Phillips
          Happiness happens but I want joy. -- Marjorie Cardwell