Re: politics and grief

From: Peter
>And I'm a Canadian, so I don't have a jingoistic American agenda, like
>some people might (not necessarily anybody on this list, natch).  ;)  In
>fact, immediately after September 11, I apparently alienated a few of my
>American friends by endorsing a form of the "root causes" argument.  But
>looking at the past is useful only inasmuch as it helps us to plan our
>actions in the present so we can achieve the best possible future.

That's an excellent point! After I got over my shock I started wondering the
same thing. "Just because these are evil people" was not a good enough
reason for me. We all have our bad and good sides and our reasons for doing
things. What did our country do to possess someone to fly a kamakazie plane
into a building to kill thousands of innocent people? If we try to
understand why, perhaps we can fix the root problem so it doesn't happen
again. This is another reason I'm against war with Iraq unless absolutely
necessary - I feel it will stir up more hatred against our country and give
terrorists more reasons to attack us. We're the bully and they're the
outcast kid coming to school with a loaded gun (in their eyes).

Which reminds me. . .I actually think this way so much that I felt sorry for
the Columbine shooters! I ticked some people off by saying this after it
happened. What these kids had to have gone through to push them to that
point! Instead of saying "what horrible boys" why don't we try to make
school a safer place where kids aren't bullied? And encourage parents to
talk to their kids about their problems. Yes it was a terrible crime but
let's try to learn from it.

I just took a spiritual gifts test - I'm sure one of my gifts will be
empathy.

Sarah