Re: Ashley Cleveland/Margaret Becker

Margaret Becker: great voice caught in an endless pop loop.  I thought her
first two albums showed some great promise but even they were a bit to poppy
for me at times.  Everything I've heard since has nothing to interest me.

Ashley Cleveland: Queen of the raspy blues.  People used to say that Melissa
Etheridge had *the voice* but Ashley, who has a similar vocal style, could
outsing Melissa without breaking a sweat.  I have all her stuff but still
like Big Town, her OOP mainstream release, the best.  I even sent out couple
discs and letters to radio stations when I first heard it trying to promote
it.  Her voice tamed down and polished up a bit when she went CCM.  She does
do some nice belting on the live one.

Loudon Wainright: A bit too sardonic for me nowadays.  I used to listen to
him all the time years ago and even played a few of his tunes: Nocturnal
Stumblebutt, When I Die, Down Drinking at the Bar.  Tried to figure out the
Bee Song but couldn't.  Hmm, maybe I'll try again.
  An interesting Loudon story: I once saw him back in 81 not all too long
after John (Imagine) Lennon was shot.  He did a tune about celebrity
shootings and I guess it was weighing heavily on his mind because when I
pulled out a pen and album liner to see if he'd sign it (I was second row) he
looked at me, his eyes bulged out, and proceeded to duck for cover!  Sorry
Louden, I don't think there's too many fans that are that obsessed about you.
 Or perhaps I just looked like a potential madman?

kevin