Re: imagining the future

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, ryan richards wrote:
> To me most people who really believe in this idea of the second coming
> have a pretty abstract concept of how it will actually play out.  It
> sounds to me like people think some being is going to come flying out of
> the sky, land on earth with a loud thud and start bashing the bad guys
> over the head with his magical sceptor or somethin'.

Heh.

   Most of us have heard jokes about whether Jesus will return to Rome or
   to Salt Lake City or to some other place. The serious point of the
   jokes: if we think of Jesus coming back, we have to think of him coming
   back _somewhere_. To make the point another way, several years ago a
   student showed me a fund-raising letter from a televangelist. Its
   purpose was to raise money to make sure that airborne television crews
   would be able to cover the second coming. The notion that the second
   coming could be televised is, of course, ludicrous. But it also makes
   us wonder whether we can imagine the second coming as an event within
   the space-time world.

   -- Marcus Borg (with N.T. Wright), _The Meaning of Jesus: Two Visions_,
   New York: HarperSanFrancisco, 1999, page 276.

> I tend to think more practically, that he will born and raised just like
> the original.

Well, that would seem to contradict the thrust of Acts 1, for one thing.

 If true love never did exist how could we know its name? -- Sam Phillips
          Happiness happens but I want joy. -- Marjorie Cardwell