Re: imagining the future

>From: "J. Marie Hall" <fionaeval at yahoo_com>
>To: ryan richards <randomricky at hotmail_com>, over-the-rhine at actwin_com
>Subject: Re: imagining the future
>Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 18:20:51 -0700 (PDT)
>

>which is why i don't buy the kingdom of god being
>manifest and connected now, before he comes back and
>gets rid of the sin/junk.

How do you think he will accomplish this?  What vehicle will he use?  To me
most people who really believe in this idea of the second coming have a
pretty abstract concept of how it will actually play out.  It sounds to me
like people think some being is going to come flying out of the sky, land on
earth with a loud thud and start bashing the bad guys over the head with his
magical sceptor or somethin'.  I tend to think more practically, that he
will born and raised just like the original.  A man to sure, but much more
as well.

>i don't see how it makes a clear and
>unadulterated way for the kingdom of god to be
>manifest and present in all of its truth _now_.

Neither do I think it's here in all it's truth now, but a portion of it is
here.  My take is that our job is to continue to advance it until it becomes
all it is supposed to be.

>> > I think of it as stronger nations not trying
> > dominate weaker nations and
> > also as the ability of the individual to allow both
> > peace and judgement to
> > reign in their own soul.  In other words, to discern
> > when someone needs to
> > have their ass kicked because they are about to do
> > evil and when someone
> > deserves mercy as a victim of circumstance, for
> > instance.
>
>you're telling me that the kingdom of god is just as
>accessible as it will ever be for the redeemed and you
>really see the above as being true/possible/happening
>now with believers?  there are plenty of the redeemed
>scattered thoughout time and space, and on the whole,
>this redeemed church isn't famous for its discernment
>out in the vast world dealing in and with it.
>so i'm not seeing the fruit.

It would become more accessible if people could get a better grasp of what
it is.  Obviously nations have not learned how or been forced to co-exist
yet, but I do think that individual believers and people in general for that
matter do have these discernment capabilities but rarely access them.  I
agree that the church has failed most miserably in this regard but that
doesn't mean we should give up and doesn't alleviate the us (individually
that is) from responsibility in a given situation.  It takes an extremely
sensitive person to know how to deal with someone in need, but I've come to
the conclusion that most people just don't care enough to become sensitized,
if you will.