imagining the future (with lots of creative kids!)

hey everybody,

i'm a happy woman.  i had my first odyssey of the mind
(aka creative problem solving) meeting this
afternoon...and i had more than 30 kids show up
interested in being on a team.  senorita hall will be
busy and begging for parental volunteers.  not only
did they show up early all excited, but the ones who
drove stayed over an hour later than the meeting time
scheduled us.

it was wonderful :)  i was on teams (specifically
classics teams) in high school and have wanted to
coach, but this is the first year as a teacher that i
wasn't doing something insane like grad school.  yay!

> >which is why i don't buy the kingdom of god being
> >manifest and connected now, before he comes back
> and
> >gets rid of the sin/junk.
>
> How do you think he will accomplish this?  What
> vehicle will he use?

i have never assumed that i needed to understand the
intricacies of all the prophecies to believe them to
be true.  the picture i do have, however, is of
marriage--the union, a seal that erases the barrier
issue.  if the kingdom as an imprint is bursting from
me and if that same kingdom (imprint) is pursuing me
madly, drawing nigh, then i look forward to the
consumation i guess :)

> pretty abstract concept of how it will actually play
> out.

is this something we/you can honestly use as a litmas
for veracity?

> will born and raised just like the original.  A man
> to sure, but much more
> as well.

i don't think that possibility (being born as a man
again) has ever made sense to me when reading the
bible...what would you point me to so i could see
that?

> It would become more accessible if people could get
> a better grasp of what
> it is.

i'm not meaning to be harsh when i say this, but
:)...so now, after centuries of blessed and brilliant
saints, full of the holy spirit and greatness (however
stained with the problems that haunt us all)...you and
maybe a few others have finally figured it out?  have
grasped what it is????

> Obviously nations have not learned how or
> been forced to co-exist
> yet,

so, why would they now if they haven't before?  the
kingdom of god was coming nigh, in us and among us all
this time.  paul talked as if jesus was coming in his
own lifetime.

i'm not against the idea that societies progress in
some ways.  look at slavery.  but then look at other
things.  we seem to do the opposite just as
easily...so i guess i have a hard time seeing a true
progress in terms of physical/social reality for this
old earth.  i'm rather looking forward to the new
heaven and new earth :)

> matter do have these discernment capabilities but
> rarely access them.  I
> agree that the church has failed most miserably in
> this regard but that
> doesn't mean we should give up and doesn't alleviate

i'm not saying i disagree with this idea completely,
but i get the feeling that it is so much more
complicated than that.  and so while the above might
be true, i don't know that it would be bring about
world peace.  i also don't see the small steps made by
people loving around them as being irrelevant or even
all that small.  i don't think all that has to be
proven by international-scale success.

btw, ryan, thanks for all this.  it's nice to think
about it more.

take care,
j. marie

=====
All human nature vigorously resists grace because grace changes us and the change is painful. -Flannery O'Connor