Re: imagining the future (with lots of creative kids!)

J. Marie Hall wrote:

>i'm a happy woman.  i had my first odyssey of the mind
>(aka creative problem solving) meeting this
>afternoon...and i had more than 30 kids show up
>interested in being on a team.  senorita hall will be
>busy and begging for parental volunteers.  not only
>did they show up early all excited, but the ones who
>drove stayed over an hour later than the meeting time
>scheduled us.

I still have my "I OM therefore I AM" pin residing permanently on my
backpack.  We had OM at my old school in Iowa; the team two years my
senior went to nationals their eight-grade year.  They built a vehicle
that operated solely on hand jacks, which I thought was rather
impressive.  I was always on the team that built fun towers out of balsa
wood.  We never managed to win a regional, but half the fun was simply
being there and watching all the other teams perform.  (The acting
portion was always our strong suit, which may be somewhat surprising for
competing in a game of architecture.)

My dad got into judging after he saw my team compete; I know he enjoyed
watching it all unfold.  If I had to pick a favorite scholastic
competition, it would have to be OM.  It seemed like much more of a
competition that allowed a person's (and team's) personality to show
through and rewarded the "renaissance men" of the school system for
being able to do more than simply recall trivia or run quickly.

Is there a collegiate program?  I'll have to look into that.  I /really/
miss competing in those events, if you couldn't tell.  I've had to
settle with my school's cardboard boat ragetta lately.

-Smitty the OM-er

(Wasn't there a mascot called OMer?)