Re: love one another

Hello J. Marie and list,

Something you said really struck me,
>there are times when i feel like i have "no right" to
>tell anyone anything.  but if i believed that truly
>and kept to myself, it would have more to do with my
>insecurity and an inverted sort of pride (false
>humility) than with the truth of the matter.

That is very true. I suppose some of my resolve to dislike typical "evangelism" could be a hidden fear of insecurity or
loss of reputation. I guess maybe I am not comfortable being a "Jesus Freak". But I know that my heart does long for all people to know the father, but I just see it in a different way.

For example:
In High School I was involved in a "Christian" group. I personally (and impressionably) assumed that meant I must be nice to all the "rejects" or disliked students at school. So my friends and I were nice to the kids that were picked on, and that's great. But, unfortunately, one of the young girls became a "leech" (for lack of a better word). She followed us everywhere, found our phone numbers, and tried to give us spontaneous hugs all the time. I know that we meant well, but it is one of my biggest regrets, that I only cared for her out of duty and cause Jesus said I should. What I missed was how she was a hurting person, desperate for friends, and by acting like I cared when I really didn't plan on being involved in her life in any way, I gave her false hope. She started to drive me crazy, and I prayed God would take her away.  (How pathetically ironic, right?) In the end, my caring came across as more hurtful than helpful. And worse of all (I could kick myself) she was given a bad impression of what Christianity was. So, I think about her a lot, and I never want to treat anyone like that again. But the Lord did teach me about my own evangelizing style.

I suppose a lot of my resistance to evangelism is that if I am telling someone I don't know about God, and then they want me to be their friend I know I probably wouldn't want to.  It is like we care more about saving the soul, than the actual person. I think you must first build a relationship with the person before speaking of Jesus. Because we are supposed to rely on other brothers and sisters for support, and if I don't know the person, where is there support?

So yes, what you said sparked a few brain waves, and a bit of an inner search!
thank you
and you take care too.
love patty