Re: Top 10 favorite songs (minute OtR content)

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Sarah Herr wrote:

> > > 1. "One" by U2
> >
> > Ever hear the Johnny Cash version?  That's my favorite, at the moment.
>
> Nope I haven't heard this one - he's not one of my favorites - "The
> Wanderer" on U2's Zooropa makes my hair stand on end :D

Oh, but I *love* that tune ...  :)

> Have you heard the REM version? It's called "Automatic Baby."

Nope!

> > > 7. "Imagine" by John Lennon
> >
> > Ewwww.  :)  I don't find John Lennon solo all that interesting, I'm
> > afraid -- occasionally he'll come up with an interesting lyric like
> > "How can I move forward when I don't know which way I'm facing", but I
> > really don't care for the sort of nihilistic bliss he fantasizes about
> > in this one.
>
> I think what he's fantasizing about is a world where people don't kill
> each other over ideas or religion. Not that religion is a bad thing,
> it's just that we always find a way to make it a bad thing. (The Middle
> East, terrorist attacks, N. Ireland, etc.)

If Lennon was merely saying "Why can't we all get along?", that would be
one thing.  But no, he takes an explicitly anti-religious stance -- which
is, in its own way, a religious stance in and of itself.

> > . . . the second movement to Schubert's 'Piano Trio in E Flat' . . .
>
> Yeah I'm leaving out classical music, Christmas tunes, and hymns.
> Popular music only. But it was still hard!

So OTR's cover of 'In the Garden' would be ruled out, and so would Enya's
'How Can I Keep from Singing', just because they are hymns?  Never!  :)

And what about tunes like the intro to 'Also Sprach Zarathustra', which
climbed the pop charts when _2001: A Space Odyssey_ came out?  What about
Eric Carmen's use of Rachmaninov in his pop hit 'All By Myself'?  :)

 If true love never did exist how could we know its name? -- Sam Phillips
          Happiness happens but I want joy. -- Marjorie Cardwell