Re: a progressive listener

Gilhamilton at aol_com wrote:
> ok Dan I've been listening to prog since the
> mid-seventies and you have quite a few here I'm
> not familiar with. Can you say anything about:
> Threshhold,

i got into these guys based on a friend in Ireland's
recommendation.  they're similar to Dream Theater,
musically... possibly close to the _Awake_ album.
they write some good stuff... i've lost touch with
them as of late, though... i believe they're from
the UK.

> Superior,

from Germany.  one of the few prog-metal bands that
i try to keep up with (other than Dream Theater, of
course).  their guitarist Bernd Basmer is active
online, which is how i found out about them, plus
the Dream Theater list tends to like Superior quite
a bit.  stronger vocals than James LaBrie of Dream
Theater, but still very "metal sounding" vocalist.
guitars are drop-tuned *way* down... very heavy
sounding, tonally.  i'd liken them to _Awake_-era
Dream Theater as well.  http://www.meet-superior.de/

the opening riff to "God's Funeral" on their album
_Younique_ is one of the best riffs of all-time.  it
floors me.

> Always Almost,

a spin-off of the Gentle Giant-esque band echolyn.
i dig echolyn a lot. http://www.echolyn2000.com/ for
more info...

> Jughead,

Ty Tabor (of King's X) and Derek Sherinian (who's
played with Dream Theater, KISS, Alice Copper, etc).
a side-project that's supposed to come out next
Tuesday.  it won't be as good as the Platypus side-
project, but it should be interesting nonetheless.
http://www.kingsx.net/ for more info...

> Planet X,

Derek Sherinian's other side-project.  he started PX
as a side-project, but then Dream Theater kicked him
out of their band.  now it's Derek's main gig.  it's
jazzy and proggy.  http://www.dereksherinian.com/

> Opeth.

dark, heavy, intricate metal band from Scandinavia.
Cynic, Death, early-Testament, Meshuggah, etc...
not for the faint of heart.

> I must admit though, that I'm not too up on the
> 90's prog movement and that's like what -- a
> couple thousand bands?

yeah, too many.  i'm kind of lost on it all, too.

Dan

=====
VISIT the home of Dan's music at:
     http://www.unemployedingreenland.com/
         -and- http://www.dlm.net/gc/
   VISIT - Pixie Princess Jewelry Studios at:
         http://www.pixieprincess.com/