Re: a progressive listener

Dan lists:
<< Chroma Key, Fates Warning, I Mother Earth, Threshold,
 Superior, King Crimson, Liquid Tension Experiment,
 echolyn/Finneus Gauge/Always Almost, Planet X, Ozric
 Tentacles (actually contributed to me getting into
 Over the Rhine), Platypus/Jughead/Jelly Jam (largely
 due to the King's X angle), Opeth, Queensryche, and
 many more that I can't even remember... >>

ok Dan I've been listening to prog since the mid-seventies and you have quite
a few here I'm not familiar with. Can you say anything about:  Threshhold,
Superior, Always Almost, Jughead, Planet X, and Opeth.  I must admit though,
that I'm not too up on the 90's prog movement and that's like what -- a
couple thousand bands?

a few that spin around here: Can, Van Der Graff Generator, Premiata Forneria
Marconi (actually just the name of a diner), Curved Air, Caravan,  Egg,
Echolyn, Nektar, Camel,  to name just a few.  Of course Yes, Kansas, Genesis,
Triumvirat, ELP,  King Crimson, Focus... Gentle Giant was one of my favorite
bands. I think I have around a 5 inch stack of vinyl by them.

also listen to on occasion - New Trolls, National Health, Happy the Man, il
baricentro, banco del mutuo soccorso,  osanna, univers zero/daniel denis
solo, Hatfield and the North, Triana, and on and on.

I gotta mention Yezda Urfa. They put out one disc that may be a bit too
derivative of Gentle Giant but it's still a fun listen.  I mention them
because they were a local band.  Most of the members were from within 20
miles from where I grew up.

One other brief mention.  Jimmy Hotz:Beyond the Crystal Sea.  One of the few
prog albums that holds up (although I haven't listened to it in a few years)
that is by a Christian musician.  It was an independent release and very hard
to find but was released on CD a while back.  Reminds me, I gotta pick that
up.  Don't have the site handy but he is on the web.

..oddly enough, after i got into it really heavy,
it struck me that many "progressive" acts aren't
really textbook "progressive," but rather set in
the 1970s "progressive movement."  regardless, i
find much of it fun still.

 True, but we are covering a lot of territory between American, Brit,
Italian, German prog which seem to have been the main schools of the 70's.(1)
Also, the definition seems to mutate every few years.  I saw the jazz fusion
guitarist Alan Holdsworth classified as prog a while back.  So too the
jazz/new age/rock/? guitarist Michael Manring.

(1) one fine band came out of Japan that I know of: il Berlione. Heavily
influenced by Italian prog even down to the name. Wouldn't know to listen
they're from Japan.

Probably best to drop me a line off'-list as there have now been a few prog
posts and I wouldn't want to start boring our non prog listening listees. I
know I know -- too late!

kevin (resident nutter)