Re: iseegenius (not quite so) (no Otr)

Alfred B Johnson wrote:
> Um.
>
> Seen the trailers?
>
> It's an aliens movie.

I disagree.  Its a suspense movie.  Moreover, the aliens or whatever are
simply a metaphor for "the unknown" which heightens the suspense.  It is
impolite to discuss movies on most lists without clearly noting in the
subject line the title of the movie AND even the hint that reading your post
might give something away.  Trailers is a cop out...not everyone has seen
them.

As for my comment on "OtR content versus non-OtR content" and a list monitor
I was not suggesting policing or editing messages for content.  However,
since the habit is to not indicate in the subject line if the message is OtR
related or not (I am equally guilty of this), a moderator could add these
touches to help people manage the volumes of e-mail this list generates.  I
for one subscribe to a number of listservs and many of them are moderated.
In those cases, postings are "categorized" to help readers move to the
subjects they are interested in without deterriorating the sense of
community the list generates.  Many lists do impose a decorum of ettiquette
simply to maintain focus or at least allow users to readily identify
tangental discussions.

Mr Johnson also wrote: "Sharing of impressions of arts is well within the
sphere of things meant to be discussed on the list...it would be my
contention that passing on our impressions of beautiful things is actually a
form of OtR content."

While I don't disagree that music/band related lists should be broad enough
to capture the very energy of artistic expression, a cursorary review of
most postings will show that what generally occurs here is an ongoing
conversation among a dozen or so people chiming in their two cents.  It
reads much like an afternoon in a chat room except its slower.  I refer to
today's discussion of listee offices as indicative of my point and not
necessarliy "the impressions of beautiful things" that you would argue this
list should undertake.  I know I'm going to hear the "one man's cubicle is
another man's castle" reply so don't bother.  I'm just taking exception to
the fact the 90% of this list only marginally focuses on OtR and more
importantly their music.  Asking for the courtesy of putting "OtR" or "no
OtR" in the message subject lines that would go along way to helping
everyone give and take to this list as they see fit is not too much to ask.

Sláinte,
David

np: OtR - CStone02, acoustic set.