Re: iseegenius (not quite so)

> Well you did when you revealed to the whole list "The aliens are
> silly."

Um.

Seen the trailers?

It's an aliens movie.

If you don't want to get spoilered, don't read posts about movies you
haven't seen.  Period.  Especially if you're this sensitive.  My subject
line was semi clear, and the first line of my email ("I loved Signs,"
right?  Or something like that) was a dead giveaway.  Use that delete
button.

Plus . . . silly . . . lots of kinds of silly.

The aliens are silly in Close Encounters, too, but they're nothing like
the Signs aliens, which as far as anyone knows who hasn't seen the movie,
don't even physically appear, don't necessarily speak, might be kids
playing jokes, might be illegal immigrants, might be mean or nice, might
be E.T., might act silly, might look silly, might act serious but come
off hilarious, might act hilarious but be serious anyway.  Or might be
the Predator on laughing gas.  There are a million kinds of silly.  Silly
Aliens: Killer Klowns from Outer Space, Critters, Space Balls, Star Wars,
Battlestar Gallactica, Star Trek, Buck Rogers, X-Files (see "Jose Chung's
From Outer Space"), Men in Black, Michael Jackson, David Bowie,
*batteries not included.  Coccoon.  E.T.  And so on.  Lots of silly
aliens.  Good movies, bad movies, up movies, down movies, silly funny,
silly stupid, silly just for fun.

But silly.

> This again gets into the whole issue of OtR content versus non-OtR
> content and some list ettiquette.  At the minimum it contributes to the
case
> for having someone monitor the list before messages are automatically
> passed on.

List ettiquette?  I am miffed about this, David.  Sharing of impressions
of arts is well within the sphere of things meant to be discussed on the
list.  You actually seem to have regarded my post as a sort of social
blunder big enough to warrant controversy.  Me, I found Signs incredibly
spiritual and beautiful.  (Was that a spoiler?)  My post was a sort of
recommendation post.  Go see it, I said.

Anyway, it would be my contention that passing on our impressions of
beautiful things is actually a form of OtR content.  This is my line in
the sand.

Having been flamed before lunch,

Fred