_NO OTR_ Re: iseegenius (not quite so) (no Otr)

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, David Dean wrote:

> I disagree.  Its a suspense movie.  Moreover, the aliens or whatever
> are simply a metaphor for "the unknown" which heightens the suspense.
> It is impolite to discuss movies on most lists without clearly noting
> in the subject line the title of the movie AND even the hint that
> reading your post might give something away.  Trailers is a cop
> out...not everyone has seen them.

'so the aliens can't read our minds'

crop signs - a well known popculture phenomenon that started in the 70's?
80's with people claiming everything from hoax to signs of aliens
communicating.

> As for my comment on "OtR content versus non-OtR content" and a list
> monitor I was not suggesting policing or editing messages for content.
> However, since the habit is to not indicate in the subject line if the
> message is OtR related or not (I am equally guilty of this), a
> moderator could add these touches to help people manage the volumes of
> e-mail this list generates.  I for one subscribe to a number of
> listservs and many of them are moderated. In those cases, postings are
> "categorized" to help readers move to the subjects they are interested
> in without deterriorating the sense of community the list generates.
> Many lists do impose a decorum of ettiquette simply to maintain focus
> or at least allow users to readily identify tangental discussions.

i'm on a few lists as well. and none are moderated. largely, this is the
hottest headed list i've been one. the most singleminded narrowpurposed
list (:

in other words - lots of people flame on here, and lots of people
soemtimes complain about subjs, non otrness and call wildly for
moderation.

threading is easy. you have an email program for that. if you wanted, you
could just go to the otr site and look at things by threads. some email
programs allow you to sort by thread. or at least by topic.

> While I don't disagree that music/band related lists should be broad
> enough to capture the very energy of artistic expression, a cursorary
> review of most postings will show that what generally occurs here is
> an ongoing conversation among a dozen or so people chiming in their
> two cents.  It reads much like an afternoon in a chat room except its
> slower.

most lits i am on do that. it's cos they're made up of people who are not
technical and enjoy talking.

> I refer to today's discussion of listee offices as indicative of my
> point and not necessarliy "the impressions of beautiful things" that
> you would argue this list should undertake.

then a: don't read it. you've read one subj line - aboid all the rest. b:
maybe this list isn't for you? i know. before you get mad, that wasn't
super nice - i don't know how to couch it better. see, it's a community
and sometimes there are bbqs and stuff. i am the first to say i hate
people large gatherings, but they're fun to watch.

> importantly their music.  Asking for the courtesy of putting "OtR" or
> "no OtR" in the message subject lines that would go along way to
> helping everyone give and take to this list as they see fit is not too
> much to ask.

every so often some people do remember to do it.

but ikinda feel like this is an otr list, but also it's alist of people
who like art/high minded stuff (and some silly stuff). and some of us
don't get stretched, or like to use this forum to explore.

i'd be the last to squish that. i find it more interesting with NON otr
stuff as well. i get lost in al the technical reasons something is a good
piece of music.

rhys