Re: A. I.

You guys really know how to get to the heart of the matter, eh?  I somewhat
forced myself to watch A.I. again over the holiday, and now that this
conversation has resumed I'm glad I did.  Getting perhaps to the heart of
the matter, the ending that it is, I felt it to be sort of an attachment and
felt like it drug on almost endlessly and did little to resolve any issues
contained in the film.  In fact, it added to some confusion I sensed
throughout and now I must try and sort out why.  I think for starters would
be to figure out exactly what the different characters represent.  The key
for me is the blue fairy because she drives me bananas.  In a way I'm
wanting to view her as the virgin Mary as she is usually depicted in statue
form and is almost always hearing blue.  Being the mother of God and of
human in a sense wouldn't she serve well as a kind of magical being with
transformative powers?  Her destruction after David touches her and then the
subsequent reemergence of David's mother speaks of a transference doesn't
it?  So maybe the mother figure is what humanizes David although the process
somehow kills them both.  Now Teddy is just as perplexing.  I agree that he
seems to be the most human of all, or perhaps even beyond human.  He
understood so well what David was going through and seemed know just what to
do in order to look out for him, did't he?, almost as if he was programmed
just for David.  Was he a kind of angel sent by the creator to guide and
protect David on his journey to the "light"-perhaps so?
Regardless of what these two characters represent I felt like the ending was
an attempt to give some sense of hope but ended up muddying the waters a
bit, for now.
   Another fascinating element in David's quest for humanity was his need
for individuality.  I found the irony of his discovery of this assembly line
of "Davids" striking.  His rage at and willingness to destroy an exact
likeness of himself says it all.  In our culture feel that individual rights
have been pushed way too far, to the point that other often innocent people
are disregarded.  However, I personally have a rather strong individualistic
bent so I guess we all need to find out what makes us unique and appreciate
that, but not to express ourselves in such ways that others freedoms, etc.
are violated (or somethin' :)  Anywho, I think I'll leave it here for now,
but since you guys have pretty much tapped a gold mine you're gonna have to
put up with any random thoughts that pop into my head for a probably good
while.  Have a good one.

Ryan