Re: A. I.

On Sat, 1 Jun 2002, ryan richards wrote:
> Getting perhaps to the heart of the matter, the ending that it is, I
> felt it to be sort of an attachment and felt like it drug on almost
> endlessly and did little to resolve any issues contained in the film.

Hmmm, I thought it "resolved" things quite well, in some ways, in dramatic
terms.  I mean, it is foreshadowed throughout the film that humans are
dying out and machines are replacing them, and the very first time we see
David, he is filmed out-of-focus, such that he resembles the tall, thin
mechas we see at the very end of the film.  Plus, having David "create"
his mother, just as she and the other humans "created" him, balances
things out a bit, and causes us to ask what it is, exactly, about human
love that is less selfish or more authentic than robot love, etc.  The
film doesn't "resolve" things in the sense that it gives us the answers to
all the questions it raises, but it does bring the story full circle.

> The key for me is the blue fairy because she drives me bananas.  In a
> way I'm wanting to view her as the virgin Mary as she is usually
> depicted in statue form and is almost always hearing blue.  Being the
> mother of God and of human in a sense wouldn't she serve well as a kind
> of magical being with transformative powers?  Her destruction after
> David touches her and then the subsequent reemergence of David's mother
> speaks of a transference doesn't it?

I don't know that I'd say there's a "transference" there -- the Blue Fairy
does "come back", in a sense, after the statue shatters, when the mechas
create a simulation of the Fairy that talks to David.  The reemergence of
David's mother comes somewhere after that.