Re: Karin's Mom & Dayton, OH concert

Hi,

As best as I recall, I do think Karin's mom (Barbara)
is doing better, however I don't think that things are
going to be as they were before the stroke.  It seems
like I can remember in one of Linford's letters his
talking about dismantling the contents of her home.

I remember how this felt when my grandmother could no
longer care for herself and our family did the same.
My best sentiments (thoughts and secret little
prayers) are with Karin and Linford now because I can
so relate. I don't know exactly what Barbara's status
is now, but I know how uncertain everything must feel.
 It's a very uncomfortable time.  My grandmother was
so sweet and it broke my heart to hear her asking to
go home again.  She was put in an assisted living
community, and she would beg and plead to go home with
someone just to get out of there.  It eventually broke
her and she finally passed on.  For months before
that, she would just sit there and look blankly out
the window when you would come to visit.

I was only 19 or 20 at the time, but I wish I had been
more mature and taken more time to visit her.
Sometimes life goes by so fast that it's easy to
forget what's truly important and to get caught up in
what seems necessary to live. We really need very
little to live comfortably, but so many times we fill
our lives with so much extra junk we can't remember or
see that.  That's my experience at least.

"Sometimes life really does "drag behind us like so
much dead weight."--Linford

Have any of you all ever thought about what a debt we
owe Barbara Bergquist?  I don't mean to get
uncomfortably personal, but think of all the ways that
things could have been different for her and it's very
easy to see how one tiny little thing could have
changed and we might have never been touched by
Karin's voice or her beautiful spirit.  In an
interview once (I think it was with Amy Joy)Karin
spoke of her mother and how she supported Karin in
listening to her inner drive and reaching out for her
dreams.  It was something Barbara was not able to do
(for numerous reasons I'm sure)and she wanted Karin to
have that.  Whatever (or however) that transpired, I'm
so thankful for Mrs. Bergquist's decision to give her
daughter the freedom she needed to grow and become so
important to so many people in the world.

Mark