Essential Indie Artists - Sharing Tree Possibility

OK, here's the drill...

What are some people's favorite/ESSENTIAL independent
artists out there now?  Artists that aren't on major
labels, but you feel that are an important piece of
your music collection?  Those artists that you feel
others should know about?  Artists that are operating
on more of a grassroots marketing plan?

Bands who *tend* to have a more indie feel *ARE NOT*
what I'm really talking about here... Over the Rhine,
Elliott Smith, Lucinda, Aimee, Jude, Caedmon's Call,
etc... don't count.  I'm talking about the real deal
artists out there on their own trying to get the word
out there the best way that they know how... by
working it.  Not that those aforementioned artists
aren't working it... but you know what I mean. :)

Maybe we could set up a "tape trade" kind of thing
to share a few songs from a few artists, except in
this day and age, we could use CDRs.  5 artists, 2-3
songs each would easily make a nice compilation to
share amongst one another to "get the word out" on
independent and local music.  I'm sure that this
would be a good way to get many new people in some
artist's fanbase.  heck, I GUARANTEE IT!!  If people
want to be involved but don't have a CD burner, they
could contribute a couple bucks to cover blanks and
shipping from a provider of the compilation... ?

Discuss.

MY 12 ESSENTIAL INDIES (no particular order):

ASHLEY PEACOCK: Starting out in Flint-MI, Ash made the
trek down to the Greater Cincinnati Area in early
2001.  His weapon of choice is a 12-string acoustic.
He plays a mean guitar, but what I feel separates Ash
from the rest is his VOICE- very strong, very
beautiful.  Actually, one time while listening to U2's
"Running to Stand Still" [Joshua Tree], I exclaimed
(to myself while driving), "wow, Bono's voices sounds
like Ash's..."  It sort of slipped out that way, but I
stick by the faux pas comment even now.  Truly a sight
to see and hear- a treasure in the singer-songwriter
realm.  Ash has two albums on his own Dreamthief
Records imprint.
  http://www.mp3.com/ashleypeacock/
  http://www.cdbaby.com/ashleypeacock/

CHROMA KEY: Former keyboardist for Long Island-NY
progmetal outfit Dream Theater, Kevin Moore left in
1994 to pursue his solo career, under the moniker
Chroma Key.  He relocated to New Mexico, and has
since relocated again to Chile.  CK is one of my
favorite artists of ALL-TIME.  The music is a moody,
dark, vibrant, textured, poppy, flowing, dissonant,
aurally-pleasing soundscape masterpiece all rolled up
into one.  Moody- yes, but it wraps all things Pink
Floyd, David Bowie, Trent Reznor, Tori Amos, and
Peter Gabriel into one.  Kevin has two albums and a
demos compilations out on his own Fight Evil Records.
Two more albums in some form or another are due in
2002.
  Chroma Key is the only artists where I offer 100%
satisfaction or I'll buy it off of your hands.  If
you buy *ANY* CK album, listen to it IN FULL at least
3 times, and don't like it... I'll buy it off of you
for what you paid for it ($15 max).  Sure deal.
You'll like it.
  http://www.chromakey.com/
  http://www.mp3.com/chromakey/

MICHAEL KELSEY: The first time I saw Kelsey, he was
the opener for the first time that I saw Over the
Rhine.  It was a special night, but I must say that
Kelsey gave OtR a run for their money.  I was blown
away by his opening.  Aggressive-acoustic guitar from
Lafayette, IN.  He plays with your mind while he makes
his guitar do things that you didn't think the frame
of a guitar and the frame of a human body could do.
Many people that I have dragged to a Michael Kelsey
shows thereafter can back me up.  Michael has three
albums out on H-Note Records.
  http://www.michaelkelsey.com/

PETER MULVEY: Once upon a time, Boston singer-
songwriter opened up for Over the Rhine.  I didn't
see that show, but I heard a bunch about it from my
fellow OtR listies.  Eventually I went to go see him,
and I loved what I saw.  I've probably seen him close
to 10 times since then.  A great songwriter, a great
guitarist, a great voice.  Peter has six albums out,
his latest out on Signature Sounds.
  http://www.petermulvey.com/

CELLDWELLER (Circle of Dust/Angeldust): Industrial
metal producer/songwriter.  If you like dark, hard
industrial, then Klay Scott (aka Scott Albert aka
Celldweller) is the way to go.  He started out in the
industrial scene in the 90's under the band guise of
Circle of Dust.  He's worked on Klank's debut album,
the Argyle Park masterpiece, the magician-n-music
glitz of Angeldust (seen on MTV and Howard Stern),
and is now focusing on his debut album under the name
Celldweller.  He's not signed as of yet... but I bet
some smart label will snatch him up soon...
  http://www.celldweller.com/
  http://www.mp3.com/celldweller/

FANTOMAS (&) TOMAHAWK: Mike Patton of Faith No More
and Mr. Bungle fame is a genius.  He's also a sick
genius.  The sounds that he can make with his mouth
and a microphone are unparalleled.  If FNM and MB
are the big bands, Fantomas and Tomahawk (and the
impending Peeping Tom) bands are the redheaded-
stepchildren.  All three on Patton's Ipecec Records,
they show off some of the weirdest and offkilter
beauty that I enjoy.  It's not for everybody, but
for those that "get it," there's some great music in
Mike Patton's meandering.
  http://www.ipecac.com/main.php

MONK: Former guitarist for Cincinnati-based Over the
Rhine, Ric Hordinski's Ether Records is the homebase
for Monk's 4 albums.  Ric spends most of his time
producing, but if you ever get the chance to see him
live- do so!  His handywork is one of guitar legends.
Definitely recommended for fans of Phil Keaggy or Over
the Rhine.
  http://www.monkmusic.com/

BILL MALLONEE (Vigilantes of Love): One-time working
with REM Peter Buck, Bill Mallonee's Vigilantes of
Love have chugged along with over 13 albums in as
many years.  In early 2002, Bill announced the disolve
of VoL and the continuation under his name.  Bill
hopes to release upwards of 4 CDs within the next
12-15 months on his own in conjuction with a midwest
distributor.  Bill is the epitome of a hard-working
roots-rock musician with a passion for life, music,
truth, and his fans.
  http://www.billmallonee.net/

GLEN PHILLIPS (&) LAPDOG: One band broke up, created
two more great artists.  Alt-pop mainstay Toad the
Wet Sprocket broke up just as I was getting into their
music.  I was bummed... but a few years later, some
lovely fans pointed me to Toad's offspring.  Lead
singer and chief songwriter of Toad (Glen Phillips)
put out his 1st solo album in 2001 on the People's
Music Recording Cooperative.  He's currently working
on a follow-up and a collaborative album with Nickel
Creek is set for the summer of 2002.
  Toad's guitarist and co-singer/songwriter Todd
Nichols and two other members of Toad (drummer Randy
Guss and bassist Dean Dinning) formed Lapdog.  They
have enjoyed great success on mp3.com, put out their
debut album via their website, and they're currently
working on a follow-up.
  http://www.glenphillips.com/
  http://www.lapdogmusic.com/
  http://www.mp3.com/lapdog/

ANI DIFRANCO: Ani is the indie artist who most others
aspire to be like.  She's proves that an artist can
do it on their own without a big label telling her
what to do.  Her spunky-fun and serious side meld
well on the backdrop of her unique stutter-stop guitar
work.  A unique woman who makes heartfelt music that
many times isn't about what the public wants to hear.
She tells it how it is regardless... and she's doing
well at it.  Her countless albums and collaborations
are on her own Righteous Babe Records.
  http://www.righteousbaberecords.com/

JUST UNDER THE RADAR: Maery Lanahan (Columbus-OH),
   Ryan Adcock, Katie Reider, Heavy Weather, Iswhat?
   (all Cincinnati-OH), Shrug (Dayton-OH).

That's by no means a comprehensive list.  The amount
of great indie artists that no one knows about FAR
OUTWEIGHS the great artists that everyone does know
about.  They're jewels in the rough.  That's why it's
so important to spread the word...

What are *your* Essential Indie Artists?

digging,
Dan

np:

=====
*here are two wonderful pages that I (Dan) maintain*
     VISIT - My Essential Music Favorites List:
              http://www.dlm.net/gc/

     VISIT - Pixie Princess Jewelry Studios at:
          http://www.pixieprincess.com/