Re: JIN-ROH and LotR

On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, The Mattrix wrote:

> > > If that's not a rhetorical question, the answer is that the camera
> > > does not move.
> >
> > Normally, no, but I wondered if maybe Matt knew about some technique
> > that I did not know about.
>
> I have a copy of "The Art of Nausicaa" which has few English words in
> it.  Among them "Follow", and "Pan".

Well, sure, and programs like PageMaker and Quark XPress use terms like
"leading", which go back to the days of the old printing presses, but that
doesn't mean we're actually *using* any of the old printing presses.

> That's why I regard animation as a form of cinematography.

Sorry, but to me, this is like saying painting is a form of photography.

> As to why I regard it as the highest form of cinematography, I refer to
> things like Katsuhiro Otomo's "Memories", the last segment of which is
> one continuous shot- no cuts.  Has this been successfully replicated in
> live action?  Peter?

Whether any of these films qualify as "successful" on an artistic level is
a matter of some debate, of course, but the Mike Figgis film _Timecode_
consists of not one, but *four* continuous 93-minute shots (each of which
occupies one corner of the frame); similarly, Alexander Sokurov recently
shot a film about the 300-year history of the Hermitage museum in St.
Petersburg, all in one continuous 90-minute take.  These films are made
possible by digital-video cameras; older filmmakers like Alfred Hitchcock
had to rely on cinematic sleight-of-hand to hide the edits between the
reels in films like _Rope_.  For more on this, see the URL below.

I also have uncomfortable memories of seeing Andy Warhol's _Vinyl_, which
IIRC is essentially one uninterrupted hour-long take, though I think it
has a few cuts.  It was also the first film version of Anthony Burgess's
novel _A Clockwork Orange_, BTW, predating Kubrick's by six years.