Re: JIN-ROH and LotR

> That's why I regard animation as a form of cinematography.
> In essence, its the same thing as regular filmmaking.  As
> to why I regard it as the highest form of cinematography,
> I refer to things like Katsuhiro Otomo's "Memories", the
> last segment of which is one continuous shot- no cuts.  Has
> this been successfully replicated in live action?  Peter?

Hitchcock's "Rope" was an entire film that was ostensibly a single shot.  (I
say "ostensibly" because Hitch was limited by the physical length of the
film.  Because he could only shoot so long before the film ran out, there
are, I believe, four (maybe five, including credit sequence) actual cuts,
but they are disguised (e.g., the camera will pan in front of a dark surface
and re-emerge on the other side.

I don't think it's really fair to compare animation to live-action in terms
of cinematography. Animation doesn't need to concern itself with physical
limitations the way live-action does.  In that sense, it's a bit like
"cheating", and is hardly superior to real, honest-to-god cinematography,
which not only involves moving the camera, but real lighting, lens depth,
etc.

It's not that animation is less admirable, it's just a different animal.

-

s&th
sthooligan at hotpop_com

"And one day we will die and our ashes will fly
From the aeroplane over the sea
But for now we are young, let us lay in the sun
And count every beautiful thing we can see"
                         - Neutral Milk Hotel