Re: JIN-ROH and LotR

Peter:
> > > Is it the *camera* that is moving, or just the *elements* in front of
> > > the camera (a la Disney's "multi-plane camera")?

Dr. Smith
> > If that's not a rhetorical question, the answer is that the camera does
> > not move.

Peter:
>Normally, no, but I wondered if maybe Matt knew about some technique that
>I did not know about.

I have a copy of "The Art of Nausicaa" which has few English words in it.
Among them "Follow", and "Pan".  There are also diagrams of storyboards with
motion lines, and "multi-planed" backgrounds that are layered to produce
diffused lighting and discernable shifts in focus form elements of the
foreground to those of the background and vice versa.  Anyway, the "follow"
and "pan" shots may or may not have involved physically moving the camera, I
can't read Japanese to ascertain this, but it is irrelevant from a
directorial standpoint.  The director (Miyazaki) of this film wanted a
camera pan for a given shot, instructed his staff, and got the shot as he
envisioned it.  Just like in any live-action movie.

That's why I regard animation as a form of cinematography.  In essence, its
the same thing as regular filmmaking.  As to why I regard it as the highest
form of cinematography, I refer to things like Katsuhiro Otomo's "Memories",
the last segment of which is one continuous shot- no cuts.  Has this been
successfully replicated in live action?  Peter?

> > In fact, in fully computer animated movies, there *is* no camera!

>But they have to get 'em onto the filmstrips *somehow*!  :)

Yeah.  I wonder about that...

>Of course, many DVDs, like _A Bug's Life_, are taken straight from the
>original computer code, so there's no film involved at *all*.

Here's the thing: video games.  For years now, since the advent of 3-D
gaming, video game journalists/critics have used the term "camera" to define
your perspective in the game.  The non-existant thing that hangs 45 degrees
above and behind Sonic the Hedgehog, and which also follows him as he goes,
unless I gets "stuck" behind a polygon mountain that rotates into its
perspective, is the "camera".  It appears that modern usage of the word
"camera" is no longer limited to the physical movement of a camera OR the
actual physical presence of a bona fide camera.

So, the "deep canvas" shots in "Tarzan", or the "pulling back" and "zoom" at
the start of "Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust" are all directed, choreographed,
and scripted camera movements, in fact, if not reality.
Perhaps animation can be considered the higest form of "virtual"
cinematography? :-)

Somewhere North on the Map of the world,

Matt

np Midnight Oil "Capricornia"