Re: JIN-ROH and LotR

>From: "Sweet & Tender Hooligan" >
>I don't think it's really fair to compare animation to live-action in terms
>of cinematography.

And I don't think its fair to relegate animation to mere children's films,
or treat it as a lower form of cinema.

Animation doesn't need to concern itself with physical
>limitations the way live-action does.  In that sense, it's a bit like
>"cheating", and is hardly superior to real, honest-to-god cinematography,
>which not only involves moving the camera, but real lighting, lens depth,
>etc.

Well, I think it is superior because it involves creating something from
nothing.  That is the purest form of creativity there is.  I can make
glasses all day, but only God can provide the matter.  I just shape it.  Rin
Taro is to God as Ron Howard is to me.

I know that the above doesn't address "cinematography" per se, but your
comment seemed to devalue to skills of all the wonderful directors that work
in animation, as if they somehow couldn't cut it in live-action.

I do appreciate your point, however.

>It's not that animation is less admirable, it's just a different animal.

Amen.  With all the discussion about "real" movies on this little list, and
everywhere else, I just want animation to get its due.  Thanks. :-)