Re: escapism (was re: JIN-ROH and LotR)

On 3/28/02 7:52 AM, quoth the brilliant
dasmith at rotse2_physics.lsa.umich.edu at
dasmith at rotse2_physics.lsa.umich.edu:

>For example,
>in _The Matrix_ (appropriately enough), there's a brief scene in which Mouse
>says "to deny our impulses is to deny that which makes us human".  Why is
>this
>in the film?  I can't for the life of me see how this is carried through.  Is
>this theme of denying impulses explored anywhere else in the film?  If
>anything, Cypher's acts seems to contradict this claim, as it's following his
>physical impulses that direct his choices.

Sigh. I adore you, Don. I really do.

Anyway, in response to the above, I'm not sure I follow your point.
Symbolically, perhaps, Cypher is denying his own humanity by trying to
get reinserted into the Matrix, but realistically, he is only trying to
pander to his own senses. When we first realise what he's going to do, he
is in a Matrix restaurant, waxing rhapsodic over a steak. I would argue
that indeed, Mouse's statement IS carried through as a theme. Then again,
it's broad enough to apply to almost any situation.

How do you define impulse?