Re: JIN-ROH and LoTR

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, haley kate wrote:
> but really, my main reason for not liking shrek is this: the ending.
> it's fine if they want to make little mimicries and mockeries of
> disney throughout the movie. they're clever, sure. but the fact that
> the most important part of the ending was a direct rip-off from a
> disney movie, just says to me that they didn't care enough about their
> movie or their story to come up with an original way to present the
> ending, and that the whole thing was just a medium for their jokes.

Um, are you saying the fact that the beauty becomes a beast, not not vice
versa, was *not* an original way to present the ending?  Or did you have
some other "most important part of the ending" in mind?

> this isn't a reason to not like the movie, but i thought that it
> would've been very appropriate of them to thank walt disney in their
> acceptance speech. i know that they're not disney and that it's sort
> of a big deal that they beat disney for the first award in that
> category so it would've lessened the impact of them beating disney -
> but i still think that if it's their medium and they have devoted
> their lives to full-length feature animation, they should give come
> credit to the man who created and established it.

No argument there -- especially since their film wouldn't have worked if
we in the audience hadn't brought our collective cultural memory of Disney
to the theatre with us in the first place.