Re: JIN-ROH and LoTR

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, The Mattrix wrote:
> Do you think "Shrek" was wholly appropriate for kids?

As always, it depends on the kid in question.

> Roger Ebert theorized that the realistic characters from "Final Fantasy:
> the Spirits Within" are the stunt men of the future.

Of the future?  What about *now*?  What about the people riding the brooms
and ogres and trolls in _Harry Potter_ and _Fellowship of the Ring_?  Or
the CGI bus that sank into the lake in _The Sweet Hereafter_?  Or the
obviously CGI web-slinger doing acrobatics in the _Spider-Man_ trailer?

> I think that animation is the highest form of cinematography.

Um, I would disagree.  I tend to think of cinematography and photography
as something that involves camera-work, and with most animation, the
camera does pretty much nothing -- the animators simply give it a
different drawing to snap a picture of every few frames.

> If movies are about escapism, what is more escapist than animation
> wherein ANYTHING can happen?

Ah, but *are* movies about "escapism"?

> Of course, films that boast no effects, and just simply explore the
> human condition are not necessarily escapist, and are often among the
> most compelling type of movie at the same time.

And what about _Citizen Kane_, which, as Roger Ebert has pointed out, is
also a special-effects movie in its own way?  Is it "escapist", a
"compelling exploration of the human condition", or something else?

> Then again, animation can do the same. Every animated character that
> ever was given voice had a flesh and blood actor behind it, providing a
> "human" element to a mere 2-D drawing.

And what about animated characters who *haven't* been given voices, like
Tinkerbell or Gromit?  Is there no "human element" there?