Re: Re: New Alanis

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002 Ysobelle at aol_com wrote:
> On 1/30/02 1:27 PM, quoth the effervescent prestokelvo at yahoo_com at
> prestokelvo at yahoo_com:
> >If you're talking about burning a copy from another
> >cd, that's perfectly legal.  That would fall under the
> >same law that says its legal to make a tape of a song
> >or album for yourself or a friend, as long as no money
> >is made and as long as the copy is made from the
> >original.
>
> Technically, from what I've heard, it's not. I've had this debate several
> times already, and the laws are incredibly technical and contradictory--
> which is why this is still a debate-- but "fair use" doesn't always mean
> what you think it'd mean.

Fair use is personal use.  You can make a copy of something to use later -
but not for a friend.  If you rip a CD to MP3s, you can use it for a
personal MP3 player, keep it on your computer, whatever.  You cannot,
however, distribute the content.  That is the essence of fair use - you
purchased the content, not the media.  You, personally, can access that
content by any means you see fit.

Fair use is not a protected "right" the can legally take you on - but it
is also their right to block copying of material whatever way they see
fit.  DVDs, for example, are copy-protected.  In the old school of
copyright, you would still be free to copy the DVD for personal use.
Thanks to the new Digital Millennium Copyright Act, however, it is not
illegal to circumvent copy-protection measures.  In other words, you still
have fair use privileges, but you have to get that fair use without
circumventing DVD dopy protection.  So the media companies have you locked
in.  For more on the DMCA, there's an interesting story here:
http://www.gnutellanews.com/article/4360

-Smitty