Re: Re: New Alanis

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Christian D Lindemer wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Jan 2002 Ysobelle at aol_com wrote:
> > On 1/30/02 1:27 PM, quoth the effervescent prestokelvo at yahoo_com at
> > prestokelvo at yahoo_com:
> > >If you're talking about burning a copy from another
> > >cd, that's perfectly legal.  That would fall under the
> > >same law that says its legal to make a tape of a song
> > >or album for yourself or a friend, as long as no money
> > >is made and as long as the copy is made from the
> > >original.
> >
> > Technically, from what I've heard, it's not. I've had this debate several
> > times already, and the laws are incredibly technical and contradictory--
> > which is why this is still a debate-- but "fair use" doesn't always mean
> > what you think it'd mean.
>
> Fair use is personal use.  You can make a copy of something to use later -
> but not for a friend.  If you rip a CD to MP3s, you can use it for a
> personal MP3 player, keep it on your computer, whatever.  You cannot,
> however, distribute the content.  That is the essence of fair use - you
> purchased the content, not the media.  You, personally, can access that
> content by any means you see fit.
>
> Fair use is not a protected "right" the can legally take you on - but it
> is also their right to block copying of material whatever way they see
> fit.  DVDs, for example, are copy-protected.  In the old school of
> copyright, you would still be free to copy the DVD for personal use.
> Thanks to the new Digital Millennium Copyright Act, however, it is not
> illegal to circumvent copy-protection measures.  In other words, you still
> have fair use privileges, but you have to get that fair use without
> circumventing DVD dopy protection.  So the media companies have you locked
> in.  For more on the DMCA, there's an interesting story here:
> http://www.gnutellanews.com/article/4360

Interesting note:

DVD protection procedures that make noise in the signal when recording to
a video tape, a friend of mine inadvertantly found out, can
be circumvented by sending the signal through a splitter of the type folks
use to attach multiple console game systems into their entertainment
center.

Very odd.

-Drew J

O ^ ^     Drew Johnson - djohnson at snowplow_org - Ld Robert Bartholomew, SCA )
O(_|_) Tengo gusto de comer creyones. -Elian Gonzales, 4/27/00, Goats: the  X
O Check out splat.melm.org (monkey at melm_org) -----------------  comic strip |