RE: Downloading debate

I think that this is partially the way it works (correct me if I'm wrong.
The record company industry has been worried about illegal copying for some
time. Taping stuff (as in actually using tape) may have different
implications for this reason: when a company like Sony makes a tape recorder
or a CD recorder, the RIAA makes them pay a hefty royalty fee because of the
devices *potential* to bootleg stuff. along with that, there has been for
some time, SCMS protection incorporated into the hardware of almost all
*digital* recording devices such as DATs and Minidisc recorders. SCMS
basically only lets any device make a first generation copy of any original
digital media. if you try to make a copy of a copy, SCMS prevents this by
some soft encoding in the first generation copy. my Minidisc recorder will
actually flash SCMS LOCK on it if I try it. DVD players use something
similar called MacroVision that basically overdrives the video signal to the
point of complete video scramble. harmless, but it prevents VCR's from
making a really clean copy of a digital source. the big deal in the last few
years, is map and digital copying on the computer, because map players and
computers didn't fall into the categories of digital recording devices. I
think they made some rulings based on ethics rather than technicality, i.e.
just because someone else stole the money and you found it, doesn't mean it
belongs to you.

mainstream radio, is to me, 100% advertising. not just product advertising,
but record companies give out payola (actual term) to radio stations to push
music so that the artist saturates the market, more people are exposed, and
more product is sold. I like college radio and independent radio for the
very reason that the kids playing the stuff are jacked up about sharing
their music with other people. I mean, who wouldn't? I'd love to put the
entire OtR collection on 24 hour shuffle rotation so that people can just
listen and fall in love. I half think that OtR should rip their own library,
and set up a streaming server and do just that.

I think I lost track of where I was going with this.

::Chris::