Re: New Alanis

Kelvin Bailey wrote:

> And one of the things I have determined
> > is that I can't come up with
> > a ethic for everyone, or tell someone else what they
> > should do.
>
> The question is, is it a matter of ethics or a matter
> of legality?

yes.  There is at issue what is actually legal and what's not, but
chances are the intellecutal property police are not going to check your
harddrive and see what music you've downloaded (or movies or whatever
else for that matter) so in a sense it comes down to personal ethics and
the spirit of the law.

>  For myself, I'm
> > okay with burning copies of cds to see if I like it,
> > and if I listen to it a
> > lot, I should really support the artist by
> > purchasing it.
>
> Okay, let's be honest.  How many people really
> purchase it later.

I really do.  Because intellectual property is important to me.  I don't
know if other people do though.  Probably not.

> If you're talking about burning a copy from another
> cd, that's perfectly legal.  That would fall under the
> same law that says its legal to make a tape of a song
> or album for yourself or a friend, as long as no money
> is made and as long as the copy is made from the
> original.
> Downloading a whole album off the net is a whole
> nuther stack of pancakes.

I was, but I'm thinking of it from an ethical rather than a legal
standpoint.  I still feel a need to buy a cd if I really enjoy the copy
that I burned (or dubbed) off of someone else's.

> And I like to have the liner
> > notes and stuff anyway.
>
> Me too.  That's why I will always prefer to buy it
> than to download or copy it.

exactly.

>   It's
> > a tough issue.
>
> Is it really tough to know what's right, or just tough
> to do what you know is right?

both.  Because it's so easy to just download stuff or just copy them.

still thinkin'
Bethany

--
~*~*~*~
"and the stories in my pockets are the best I've ever lived" -Sarah