the trials and tribulations of jessyka and samantha detweiler

hi kids!

it's a long drive to dayton.  it's even longer when you have to drive from
butler (north of pittsburgh) than from your home on the south side of
pittsburgh.  but that's ok.  because it's *all* worth it...except for the
stupid speeding ticket you get at 5:30 in the morning because there's no one
else on the road and cops have nothing better to do.

i was only doing 74.  what's *that* about?

anyway, the concert was fabulous.  the listees are fabulous.  yum.  some
people standing outside of the canal street tavern told me about the happy
little side door, so i walked in and was immediately greeted by linford, who
was playing for the sound check.  "hi, jessyka!"  he calls, to which i hear
*someone* say, "that's jessyka?!"  oh, goodie, i think, a listee i haven't
met.

i walk over to a girl with long blond hair, assuming that this is samantha,
with whom i am manning the merch table, and it is.  of course, since the only
samantha who ever posts is *beautifulblood* samantha, this is whom i think
she is, but she's not.  oops.  sorry to both of you.  anyway, a guy in a fun
tan coat comes up behind me and says, "hi, i'm don."  i'm astounded...i
didn't know DON SMITH was coming!!!  he's so FABULOUS...we like him a lot.  :)

and he brought amaretto cheesecake.  *yum*

so, the preconcert ordeals include being greeted by linford, being introduced
to everyone else involved, and being instructed on how to work the merch
table.  then linford invited us to come to a little sandwich/coffee place
with them, but don was the only one who went...they were supposed to open the
doors just a few minutes later, and megan wanted to save seats which samantha
and i had to sit at the table.

before he left, though, the doorman (who was really surly and
attitude-istic...yuck!) carded both samantha and me.  i'm old, so it didn't
matter, but samantha is only 17, and you have to be 18, and he gave her a lot
of problems.  finally linford came up to us and said, "samantha, i am your
official guardian for the evening."  and he told me to be the big sister
(except i think i should have been the little sister...she's far more mature
than i am!  lol)...which makes us his daughters!  yay!  now i can say that
linford is my dad...that makes me happy.

so, i find out that anita and ken *do* get to come to the show, which makes
me excessively happy.  she said she walked in the door and was able to pick
me out...i'm pretty much *exactly* the same as i am on e-mail, so i'm not too
hard to pick out!  lol  we talked bunches, and she's fabulous!  (big
surprise).  then, a little later, brian walks up to us and says, "hi.  i'm
not going to be introverted anymore.  i'm brian."  i couldn't say his last
name, so i said, "brian s c h...?"  he nodded and smiled, and i called him
pretty.  (which he is...very much so).  then i had to explain the attractive
listee theory...it's *so* true, by the way.  more and more is it true.

i talked to don a lot.  he told me that ysoie and jay and lindsey were all
amazed that he hadn't met me yet.  well, now he has.  he called me charming.
that made me happy, too.

oh!  i forgot.  remember how dan said that the show was sold out and so he,
the girlfriend (what's her name, anyway?) and bruce couldn't get in?  well,
bruce calls megan's cell phone, and tells her to get me to put him on the
guest list.  how he knew i hadn't used my two free tickets, i don't know, but
i was able to put him and his really cranky, scary friend jeremy on the list,
and so they were able to come.  yay bru-say!  i figured it out...the last
time i saw bruce was when we went to moonlight gardens, 2.5 years ago.  wow.
or, as he would say, holy cow.

so, things finally get settled down, and beth and noah, who are ticklepenny
corner, begin to play.  they're real nice and real cute.  go see them if you
can...they're really good.  i told beth that when they come to pittsburgh (or
to cleveland, which isn't as far as dayton) i would buy a cd, since it would
be after payday and i wouldn't have spent $30 on gas.  i really wanted one,
but there's no funds for me.  :(

todd, otr's old merch guy, came and sat with samantha and me, tooting his own
horn about how he sold me stuff way back in the day and things.  he is good
friends with ticklepenny corner, and was helping to promote them.  that was
fun.

so, over the rhine starts playing.  i had a set list...for the first half of
the show.  i stopped counting.  they played *bothered*, which made me
EXCESSIVELY happy.  they opened with it, even.  yum.  they played some other
stuff...this is what i remember, in no particular order (i'm sure someone
will have a real set list):

anything at all
i radio heaven
faithfully dangerous
go down easy
little blue river
green cloud swallow tail
ohio
jesus in new orleans
the world can wait (can i just say i love this version more than the one on
the cd...stripped down and so pretty)
like a radio
lucy
miles (yum...this is really growing on me, especially since the tribute cd)
jack's valentine

ok, that's all i can remember.  i was real tired last night.  :)  i was
really, really tired today.

so, i didn't watch most of the show, because i just sat in the doorway at the
merch table, but that just went to give additional proof that, as much as i
love to watch over the rhine live, it's so much more stimulating to me to
hear them live, without the sensory of visuals getting in my way.  karin is
stunning, by the way, with her blond hair slightly longer than shoulder
length now...she's just gorgeous.  plain and simple.

oh, i remember...they played two of jack's songs.  and they played the two
new songs...one is called *norwood boy* i believe.  and the other one is a
waltz (don tried to dance with me for that one...i would have, had the surly
scary doorman not been glaring at us!)...they're pretty.  i really like the
norwood boy song...yes, i really like it.

the look on bru-say's face when he saw how long my hair was...that was
definitely priceless.

so, the show finishes, samantha and i get swamped with people buying stuff,
and brian leaves without saying goodbye (hey, i'm mad at you!  *wink*  bye
brian!).  we're finally closing up shop when don comes over and reminds me
about the cheesecake.  yay cheesecake!  right before this, though, linford
introduces me to mike, a guy who is stationed in germany right now, but was
on leave in pittsburgh (!) until february ninth!  he only lives about 20
minutes from me...how about that?!  anyway, he gave me his number so we could
hang out until he leaves, but i think i forgot to take it out of my pocket,
and now it went through the laundry.  :(  so, girls, maybe it *is* true when
guys tell us they meant to call, but they lost our number.

so, we're all sitting at the table eating cheesecake, and linford hands me my
christmas cd, asking me to autograph it.  that was really weird...really,
really weird.  and then, since samantha is stranded at canal street tavern
with no one to come and pick her up (her friend turned off her cell
phone...isn't that awful?!), daddy linford offers her a ride home!  geez,
some girls get all the luck!

one thing i was wondering is why linford is so greet and meet happy, but
karin sort of disappears, or only talks in small groups.  i think i've only
really spoken to karin once (aside from last night, when she asked me if i
had really driven in from pittsburgh, and did i really have to drive back
that night!).  finally, although i worship her more than anything, i went up
to her last night, just to thank her for singing...she's so amazing.  every
time i hear her i become more and more enthralled.  she hugged me, and made
me promise to pull over and sleep if i needed to.  i did.

it really is a long drive to dayton.  i'm glad that the next time i see them,
it's only half and hour to get home, and that's after dropping off my friend
on the south side.

recaps...

i am linford's daughter
brian is pretty
don and megan make fabulous cheesecake
working the merch table is fun
in the immortal words of bru-say "holy cow"
if you drive to dayton from baltimore, you can probably still get in to see a
show
people in the air force shouldn't give me their number...especially since i
would probably forget my head if it weren't attached (samanatha had to remind
me about my purse)
i like over the rhine a lot (thanks, stevieboo!)

*hugz and kisses*
jessyka

behind the clouds, beyond the rain, there are many rainbows.  one is on it's
way to you.