Re: I'll admit I'm dumb

J. Maire:
>matt asked about "God" being a title or name...
>
>well, it depends on the intention of the speaker and
>understanding created with the hearers.
>inter-subjectivity, woo-hoo.

Yeah, but how about the phrase "in the name of God"?  I though about that at
church tonight, and decided that it was no different than an army taking
land "in the name of the emperor."  Which brings me back to square on- is
"God" a name or a title?  Does God have a name?  (shades of Joan Osbourne!)
Yahweh, Jehovah, Jesus, Buddha, Mohammed- are these all just words we use to
attempt to personify the Almighty?  Didn't he say when asked who he is
simply "I AM WHO/WHAT AM"?  "I AM"- if God is everywhere at all times and in
everything, can a simple name suffice to try and contain and pinpoint him?
(Even Jesus is only part of a trinity, according to church teaching.)

None of this is meant to appear as if I'm questioning Jewish tradition, BTW.
  Respect for the great "I AM" is surely wise, and never folly.

>it functions as both.  it functions as a general noun
>when not capitalized...and saying "Jimi Hendrix is a
>God" is not the name 'cause of the indefinite article.
>  plus, you probably wouldn't capitalize "god" in that
>instance anyway with the indefinite article in da
>houuuse.

Whoops!  My example would've worked better without the "a", which is how I
meant it.  People say things like that all the time, ya know- "Hendrix is
God!"  (I did say I was dumb. ;-))

>the "most high" and the "creator" are still just
>euphemistic, so it's hairy for me.  you could directly
>address god as "most high" or "creator" so i don't
>understand why they're any different.  do any of the
>jewish communities use these honorifics for addressing
>god?

Yeah, do they?  How about "author of life"?  I could go on...

I guess this has all been sparked by my trying to imagine my church and how
it would function if the name of the Lord couldn't be invoked in any way,
shape, or complete form.  I don't know how it would.

That's all.

a poor wayfairing stranger,

Matt

now playing: Sixteen Horsepower "Secret South"

"The beautiful is not chosen, the chosen becomes beautiful" - Cowboy Junkies

"I choose you, Pikachu!" -Japanese saying