Re: Nothing to do with Nine Inch Nails, really.

Leave it to me to reply just after your message comes in...oh well.

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002 Ysobelle at aol_com wrote:
> In our culture, it's considered disrespectful to write out the name of
> the Creator/G-d/however you choose to say it in a transitory medium.
> Paper burns, stone crumbles, etc. Thus one never writes it out, really.

I think I understand the point of this.  Becuase if/when the medium is
destroyed, it's like God being destroyed in effigy?

> Now, I'm a Reform Jew, and that means we're an ever-changing religion,
> constantly reexamining and adapting to the world as we live in it today.

As much as some would like to say otherwise, I'd argue all religions are
ever-changing.  Even if it's not purposely, a group tends to change as the
world around them does the same.  Then again, there are some groups like
the Reform Jews who take a /proactive approach/ to that change...

> So. Why don't I mention what religion I am? Cos it's no one's damn
> business.

By that standard it's no one's business what music you listen to or what
your political views are.  Both are rather personal, and yet both (at
least the latter) are topics here as well.  Knowing personal things about
an individual allows the rest of us to talk to a person instead of at
them.  If any sort of relationship it to take place, some familiarity with
the other party is necessary.

> Also, it's equally incorrect to say that _everyone_ believes in G-d. I

I'm not sure who said this, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't me.  If it was,
then I was having a dumb moment.

> something I can completely understand. I also don't think that this is
> the place to have this discussion. It's not why I signed up to the Over
> the Rhine list, and I don't think it's why everyone else signed up,
> either.
<snip>
> The original welcome message to this list asked us to try to avoid
> discussing religion here, and I really do think that's a good idea.

Okay, I can respect that.  I'll try to keep such subjects to a minimum
from now on.

-Smitty