Re: Nothing to do with Nine Inch Nails, really.

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002 Ysobelle at aol_com wrote:
> You don't see Jews on streetcorners exhorting people to repent cos the
> end is nigh, do you? Jews don't come to your door to invite you to sit
> in the sukkah with you on Sukkot, do they? We don't parade down your
> street in costume on Purim waving gregors at you, do we? No. Why? Cos
> it's our religion, it's what we do, and it's none of our business what
> your religion is.

The way I've always heard it, Jews believe that God chose *them*, and that
they did not choose God, thus, it would be wrong for Jews to try to
persuade people to choose to worship God in a Jewish way.  Hence, Jews
don't proselytize.  Something like that, anyway.

The Old Testament also claims that God wanted Israel to be a nation of
priests, i.e. people who would mediate between God and the rest of the
world, and if you follow that metaphor, then you might see how, just as it
is possible to be Jewish or Catholic or Anglican without being a priest,
it is possible to be living within God's will without being Jewish.