Re: Nine Inch Nails and other sundries

Dan:
<< the "christian vs. secular" dichotomy seems
 really pointless and futile anyhow, on many
 levels.

 IMO I'd go as far as to say the dichotomy is completely false --- a lie.
It's like saying that we can slice away certain chunks of reality from God's
greater reality and call them slices "ours".
  Of course I also believe that Christ, in some mysterious way,  is redeeming
back the entire world not just our souls.

Christian:
> I am a big fan of Trent Reznor's work.

 Well, keeping in mind what I just said above I would see any talent the man
has as coming from God whether he acknowledges it or not and could praise
that and his dedication to that talent and I do take great joy in listening
to many musicians who are not Christian by seeing music this way but at the
same time I also try to listen to artists who are, in some way, trying to
bring healing into a sick world.  I can't honestly say I know much of Trent
but what I have heard seems to be contributing to the sickness and not the
healing. But  I couldn't get beyond "I wanna F**K you like an animal" so I
don't know the his work in total or it's general emphasis.
  A quote I once heard said something like "The first artistic act was God
creating form out of chaos and every artist since, on a lesser scale, is
imitating that first act."
I'd go on to say they are also trying to bring form back to a world that has
again become a chaos. Darkness in art should always be about revealing and
cursing the darkness never praising it (a painting of the atrocities of war
for example) or, if you will, showing us all the lies that simmer underneath
the worlds we invent for ourselves: (the movie Metropolis) Of course I'm
speaking more generally about art itself than about Trent personally since,
as I said, I haven't really listened to him enough, I'm  just going by a gut
reaction to what I have heard.

peace,
kevin

np, peter himmelman:the musings of someone