Re: Nine Inch Nails

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002 JLuvzMusyk at aol_com wrote:
> smitty wrote:
> >  2) Noise (in my opinion) can be musical.
>
> ok, this is the really interesting question.  i think that noise *can* be
> musical.  it definitely has the potential to be musical.  many avant garde
> composers have used this principal to create all sorts of pieces...and many
> are successful.  i'm sure most of you are familiar with john cage's "4'33",
> where a pianist comes out and sits at a piano bench and does nothing...it is
> the noise of the restless audience during those 4 minutes and 33 seconds that
> create the *piece*.

Ahh, well, I suppose this goes back to the "music is in the ear of the
beholder" principle.  I could probably be entertained by 4:33, but I've
never heard it.  Then again...most of my friends and associates are rather
sheltered musically.  I have tried to turn them on to such artists as
Bjork to no avail.  Oh well, half of them listen to country anyway. ;)

> then there are the electronic musicians, who use crazy electronic instuments
> to play...have you ever seen an electric cello?  it's interesting.  there is

Ever heard of Rasputina?  It's a trio of cello-playign women who have a
rather distinctive sound.  Electric and distorted, with an interesting
sense of humor.  They're a rock band on classical instruments.

> in doing research on 20th century music, i discovered a piece where, to be
> experienced, a number of people agree on a certain length of time, and then
> go outside and listen to the snow fall.  i don't consider myself to be
> conservative, but that's just strange to me.

I've heard that piece before and not even known it!  =)

> at any rate, the topic of music will always be completely subjective.  there
> will be people who enjoy certain pieces, while others will hate them.  there
> are some who would call dan's _jack's valentine_ musical, and others who
> would call it strange computer generated stuff.

This reminds me of the video for Cake's "Short Skirt/Long Jacket"  In it,
an aging poet criticises the music for "banging and clanging, trying to
sound important."  His conception of music evidently doesn't include
drums, and surely not Nine Inch Nails!

> goodness, that was longwinded...sorry.  :)  it comes from studying this stuff
> for so long.

...not to mention it's an interesting subject...

-Smitty