Re: Nine Inch Nails

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, j.g. wrote:
> smitty:
> >  let's recap:
> > 1) I like Nine Inch Nails.  Do you?
>
> i also like your qwestion.   qwick and  to the point.

After a rambling message like I had written, I figured a quick summary
question was necessary ;)

> > 2) Noise (in my opinion) can be musical.
> >
> loosely,   the cranes are noisy,  and i notice that i don't really like
> them.    einzensomething nuebatensomething are noisy and i also don't like
> them too well.   portishead might be considered noisy  (?)   but i like
> them.

Okay, I actually am of the same thought as you here.  Notice I said "can
be" not "is."  I find random noises unappealing, but give that noise
structure and form and you have something.

Also, something I feel is a key part of NIN's and Portishead's work is
/distortion/ not noise per se.  By makign somethign sound worse, in a way
you can make it sound better.  Maybe it's the added "character" or
something, but I enjoy it.

-Smitty