Re: Bootlegging OtR concerts... ;-)

Quoth Steve Cunningham:
> I don't know about board patches.  In retrospect, we should've tried to get
> one because The Ark is an awful, awful place to tape a show,

The board recording that night turned out all right.  For some reason, the line
out from the board had Linford's mic mixed way, way down relative to everything
else.  It was very hard to make out what he said between songs, and when Karin
did "Ohio", it sounded like she was on the other side of the room, but the
piano was right next to you (loooong arms).  Jack's Valentine sounded fine,
though.  Maybe Mike fixed the level.  This only seems to have affected the
recording; I didn't notice this problem out in the house.

So, if you go through the board, it might sound quite different from what you
hear out in the house.  It all depends on how it's mixed.  On the other hand,
the recording (especially after I cleaned up the signal in the computer) is
stunningly clear and noise-free.

> Just remember to bring the right cables, I don't know the specs of your
> recorder, but most likely (if there is one) the analog input will be RCA, and
> I doubt a large sound board has RCA outputs so you'll need either a 1/4" or
> XLR > RCA converter cable of some sort.  There may be a digital feed,
> depending on the age of the console, there may very well not be.

The Ark, at least, doesn't have a digital out on the board.  There's a right
and a left XLR channel out that gets converted to RCA to go into the house tape
deck, but no stereo XLR out.  In fact, last night I was working there, and
somebody wanted to make a DAT for the band, and I could not figure out how to
get a dratted signal out at all.  Maybe there was an output gain knob that was
turned down.  I didn't think of that last night.  I'll have to go in and play
around with it sometime.  Anyway, I'm rambling.

See ya,
--
Don Smith                    Robotic Optical Transient Search Experiment
donaldas at umich_edu                          http://xte.mit.edu/~dasmith/

"just because you're fighting evil doesn't make you good" - Rabbi Dobrusin