Re: requiem for a memento of Amelie

Layne wrote:
> also in the way it compared her accelerated mindset/metabolism to "normal"
> time around her.

Yes, I also liked the scene where she went back to the sleazy doctor for help,
and he was running at a very different speed from her.  Well done.

>> (I can't believe that someone with
>> Leonard's condition could really do what he does),
>
> How do you mean?

The people who *really* suffer from that kind of brain damage can't *know* they
have the problem.  Leonard retains too much knowledge.  The movie tries to get
around this by saying he's repeated the Sammy Jankins story often enough that
he's learned it (and his condition) by repetition, but that self-aware
knowledge is a different kind of knowledge than the "instinctual" knowledge of
riding a bike or avoiding the charged object.  Alternatively (as the web site
Peter cited suggests), Leonard could have a psychological problem ("I never
said he was faking") that mimics certain aspects of the physical ailment but
lets him retain what he needs to to fuel the fantasy he's constructed for
himself.

Peter, I loved that article.  I hadn't seen it before, but my mom came to the
same conclusion about Leonard's mental illness, but I hadn't been able to see
how that conclusion was supported by the film.  Now I'm convinced.

Auf Wiedersehn,
--
Don Smith                    Robotic Optical Transient Search Experiment
donaldas at umich_edu                          http://xte.mit.edu/~dasmith/

"just because you're fighting evil doesn't make you good" - Rabbi Dobrusin