Re: Bootlegging OtR concerts... ;-)

In a message dated 1/21/2002 10:17:29 PM Eastern Standard Time,
danielc at bellsouth_net writes:

>  Greetings all of you wonderful people, who are currently but hopefully not
> forever names-
>  without-faces (except for those in Don's photographs, that is... but a
photo
> is never the same
>  as meeting someone) !

I think I managed to dodge most of the photos at Uno's, so Hi!  :)

>  I have somewhere in the back of my mind the idea that OtR doesn't mind
> people recording
>  their live shows... is this true?

Here's what I know:
OTR has stated that bootlegs are 'floating around out there' and that they
'don't mind'.   Whether or not their record company feels the same way is
something else entirely, I imagine.

>  Does anyone know if its possible to get a
> soundboard feed for
>  a MiniDisc?  Or is a mic the best way to do it?  (to all of you DAT-heads
> out there... yes I like
>  MD.... no I can't afford DAT... sorry)... I've never really bootlegged a
> concert before (never
>  really been to an artist I was *that* fond of... Atlanta doesn't get
> everybody... but OtR is
>  definitely worth trying.  I've got tickets for the Atlanta concert... This
> will be my first OtR
>  concert and I'm really excited about it.  Anyway, I was wanting to bring a
> recorder and tape
>  the show if possible, and hopefully chat a bit with the band if possible,
> either before or after.
>  :-)

I've not splurged on the hardware, myself, and would probably wonder about
the legality of such things if I did, but I can offer this by way of
information:  I met someone at a previous show who recorded it on MiniDisc.
She set the recorder on the stage, and apparently was convinced by prior
experience that it would more than suffice for her use.  I can't say how it
turned out as I haven't seen her at any subsequent shows to ask.

>  Speaking of that, does coming early (or staying late) afford one any time
> chat with OtR ...
>  especially at smaller venues?  Or do they keep out of the way after the
> shows?

Smaller venues are the perfect place to talk to OTR.   Have not seen them
beforehand personally, but David on here said he hung out with them for a
good while before the Annapolis show, I think?  Excepting for the much larger
Taft Show, they've been very accessible and friendly afterward, and even at
Taft some listees apparently were persistant enough to find them and say
hello.  They, as I overheard Linford put it once, although I could be very
much paraphrasing, 'appreciate the energy that fans provide' during and after
a show.

>  Lol... since the venue here is a bar, does alcohol (in moderation, of
course
> - getting drunk
>  never enhanced anything that I can remember...:-) enhance or detriment
OtR's
> concerts...
>  come on, I *know* at least some of you guys know the answer to this one!!!

Can't factually help you with this question: although I don't abstain, I
rarely drink enough to actually 'feel' it in any way, and certainly not
enough to alter my perception of a concert.  My opinion tho', is this: I've
certainly never needed alcohol to appreciate Karin's voice, or Linford's
piano, or Jack's guitar... they are quite an experience completely lucid and
sober... I can't imagine that anything could alter that in a positive
direction.

>  Thanks to you all for making the imaginary (i? or j? or z? or s, for that
> matter?) apple orchard
>  such a fascinating place to be...

Huh? Sorry, don't get the letter reference? But it's late, so maybe it's just
me?
I have to admit that I noticed that you typed out "you all".... did you catch
the discussion a bit ago about "ya'll", "y'all" and other variations?  :)

>  Peace,
>
>   -- Daniel

Nice to meetcha...
Anita