Re: Bootlegging OtR concerts... ;-)

>I have somewhere in the back of my mind the idea that OtR doesn't mind
>people recording
>their live shows... is this true?  Does anyone know if its possible to get
>a soundboard feed for
>a MiniDisc?  Or is a mic the best way to do it?  (to all of you DAT-heads
>out there... yes I like
>MD.... no I can't afford DAT... sorry)... I've never really bootlegged a
>concert before (never
>really been to an artist I was *that* fond of... Atlanta doesn't get
>everybody... but OtR is
>definitely worth trying.  I've got tickets for the Atlanta concert... This
>will be my first OtR
>concert and I'm really excited about it.  Anyway, I was wanting to bring a
>recorder and tape
>the show if possible, and hopefully chat a bit with the band if possible,
>either before or after.
>:-)

Ah, sorry you can't go the DAT route, but I guess you take what you can
get.  Speaking of, it's about time Phillips or Sony got off their lazy
asses and came up with something to replace it, cause MD definately isn't
it, sound-wise.

But anyways, my roommate and I taped OTR in Ann Arbor in December.  I
emailed the band via the website (I forget the address, it's there
somewhere), and first someone at that addresss wrote me back and said it
was cool, and then Linford himself emailed me and gave his blessing as well
as an address to send a copy of the DAT to (it's common courtesy when
taping "smaller" bands to send a digital copy to either the band or the
band's archivist within a couple of days of the show).

I don't know about board patches.  In retrospect, we should've tried to get
one because The Ark is an awful, awful place to tape a show, but when
looking at a pair of fat Neumann's, it's hard to jump for the board patch,
trust me.  Your best bet is to email the address on the website about a
board patch and see what happens.

More info on board patches: If the band says you can't get a patch, don't
get pissed, it's most likely not their decision.  There are several bands I
know of (The New Deal comes to mind, I know there's others as well) who at
one point allowed board taping until they signed to a label, who restricted
it.  Since OTR is no longer on their own label or an indie label, they may
not be able to allow a board patch, as I honestly doubt they'd have much
arguing clout against some ass in a suit from Virgin who found out about
it.  On the other hand, there's a distinct possibility that no one cares
and you'll have no problem getting a board patch.  Just remember to bring
the right cables, I don't know the specs of your recorder, but most likely
(if there is one) the analog input will be RCA, and I doubt a large sound
board has RCA outputs so you'll need either a 1/4" or XLR > RCA converter
cable of some sort.  There may be a digital feed, depending on the age of
the console, there may very well not be.

Hope this helps,
Steve C.