we just have a different crutch (Re: "Smoking Popes" )

--- The Mattrix <soberman_69 at hotmail_com> wrote:
> I'd prefer "Smoking Dopes", 'cause, with respect to
> loverly Liesel, smokers
> are dopes.

are there any other smokers on the list (i'm not
talking pot)?
we are not dopes.  we are addicted and mostly hate the
addiction except when we love it.  i cannot explain
the sense of satisfaction that comes from a cigarette
after a meal.
may i be melodramatic for a moment.  of course:

there was a time two years ago (and if you pick up on
subtle hints and read my posts you'll be able to guess
when that time was) that i HAD to quit smoking.  it
took me 4 months to drop it totally.  i felt like i
had lost a friend.  seriously.  they're there when i'm
stressed, they're there when i'm happy, nervous,
tired, hungry.  they sit with me over a hot cup of
coffee on a daily basis.  i don't have a friend who
does that(though a couple come close) and probably
won't until i'm married.
there are a couple of very convincing arguments for
bitch-slapping me for starting to smoke again.  what
can i say i spent almost three weeks living in a
neo-natal intensive care unit with nothing to do but
hope and found myself one afternoon on a bitter
january sidewalk with a hot cup of coffee and
cigarette.  and i felt better.  for 5 minutes.  but
that was all i needed to keep myself from sobbing on
the floor of the icu and keep me off of
anti-depressants.

sorry i'm a little defensive on this topic.
liesel

=====