Re: new math

>From: CLQ007 at aol_com:
>prestokelvo at yahoo_com writes:
>

> > popularity does not equal selling out.
>
>Excellent point.  Too many cynics make that assumption easily...
>
>Chris

I think a remark of mine prompted this so...

Guys, I'm not a cynic.  I'd never make the argument that popularity=
automatic sellout.  However, U2 did go through a period of self-agrandizing.
  They were singing about nothing.  They'd folded to the demands of their
critics, reducing themselves to "sluts without a mission".  They were
embracing all that was ugly and crass about popular culture.  If it was
intended as a clever satire, it must have backfired, as evidenced when the
diminishing returns kicked in.

Now, U2 have gotten back to making music for music's sake, with a vitality
and purpose that recent efforts have lacked.  Praise the Lord.  I'll even
allow for the "Tomb Raider" tie-ins, so I'm hardly being unfair.  U2 really
are one of the great bands of our time, so relax.  The past is, as they say,
in the past...

Long live U2!