beachland ballroom show, etcetera whatever

hello everyone,
  i hope you're all finding good ways to be cozy in the
colder weather.  i went to the beachland ballroom show last
night with a couple folks only mildly interested in otr,
and by the end of the concert they were buying cd's and
gushing about the musicality of the show and the intensity
of the lyrics.  oh, and also how adorably geek-beautiful
linford is.  my roommate has a big ole crush on him now.
   some comments on the show:  kim taylor, once again,
played a great set.  each time i see her i like her and her
songs more.  at first i wasn't so sure i liked her guitar
technique, but she does so many cool, rhythmic strummy
things (i don't play guitar and thus have NO vocabulary w/
which to enlist for these comments) that i'm really digging
her, and am definitely going to get her cd when it finally
comes out.  the birds and bees song is soooo fantastic.  i
have it in my head now.  unfortunately the lights at the
beachland weren't too great, so she looked a little scary
w/ the shadows... it was a little better when otr came out,
but still a bit distracting.  otr's set was great... i
LOVED the christmas songs, especially "all i get for
christmas is blue".  i hope they record it soon.  though i
am still not a huge fan of the moderate-tempo version of
"silent night"; i respect that they take a creative risk by
jamming w/ a traditional song, but it just doesn't feel
right to me.  other highlights were the pared down "world
can wait", "miles", the steve earle song, and "jack's
valentine".  i did sort of wish there had been more older
songs, but it makes sense that they are still playing
heavily from ffr.  not too much banter between linford and
karin, and they did seem a bit pooped as this was the
second to last show of the tour.  karin did smile a lot,
and seemed a bit more at peace than at the brady show.  she
did look a little thin though, but it might have been the
darker clothing.  she was wearing the largest belt i've
ever seen and looked particularly rock-star, hair down w/
little braids on the sides.  wade had hair again!  he was
totally bald in march!  jack's songs were pretty good
though i'm not the biggest fan of his voice.  i like his
acoustic guitar work.  and dale baker manages to be
charming and boyish even from behind the glass drum wall.
the show did had a lot of energy, and an electrifying
tension that balanced the understated tension of the
acoustic shows earlier this fall.
and of course another lovely aspect of the evening was that
i got to see jessyka again!  i didn't know she was going to
be there so it was a great surprise when she found me after
the show.  she had a tough day yesterday so everyone should
be especially nice to her!!!  it involved flight delays and
finals, but she can tell it better.  i also met matt, so
hello matt!  and dm was selling cds with amber in the back.
 everyone say congrats to dm b/c he just made the cleveland
poetry slam team!!
and now i really, really do have to do my graduate school
applications.

oh, one more thing.  i do want to add my top three cds of
the year (not necessarily produced this year, just what i
was listening to.)

return of the grievious angel: a tribute to gram parsons
gillian welch- revival (time the revelator is excellent
too, but haven't gotten too many listens yet.  the highway
song at the end is... i dunno...
superacalfragilisticexpealadocious.
ryan adams- heartbreaker
(and everything by otr is also tied with these three.)

i still, despite the fact that nearly all the people i know
who listen to good music are huge fans, cannot get into
nary a radiohead album.  i am beginning to feel truly out
of the loop.

application essays, here i come.

peace,
-=katherine=-

=====
"feel the slip and the grip of grace again"  ~~over the rhine