Re: Where was I??

On Tue, 18 Dec 2001 JLuvzMusyk at aol_com wrote:

> matt, in my eyes, was very disturbing when he wrote:
>
> << So come on somebody, suggest that two mothers would be that most ideal
> parental scenario, following that line of logic. >>

<jessyka's discussion of her own preferences in regard to being a
housewife>

Ya know, Jess, that's marvelous.  Knock yourself out (and I don't mean
that sarcastically).  My mom works at a daycare and my wife is a teacher.
When we have kids, we _know_ Sherry's going to take some years off to be
with our children until kindergarten, then off to public school and back
for Sherry to teaching, if she wants it (and I expect she does).
Frankly, it'd be less of a cost burden on us than daycare would be, and
we're keen on the idea of raisin' our own kids.

(we're _not_ keen on the idea of home-schooling, but you can e-mail me
about that one separately if anyone want to debate us not doin' that...)

> as for two women making for a positive scenario when raising children...i
> don't think i have been angered by anything on this list as much as i was by
> this comment.  i, in fact, cannot even formulate a reasonable response.
>
> *saddened beyond belief*
> jessyka

Now here's my problem with this idea - Jess, people have throughout time
been raised by the mothers and women of a family, or even by two
women who are friends, or even lovers.  This whole mom, pop,
and baby makes three thing is a relatively new phenomenon.  Whether from
war, disease, or otherwise, both women and men alone have raised stable
children.  It depends on the child, and it depends on the environment.

While I am of the firm desire to want to raise my child with my wife, I
know that other situations can arise and indeed, be successful.  I don't
agree with two women being the best of all possible worlds for the same
reason.  Folks, there _is_ no optimal situation.

I was part of a single-parent family with occasional visits to my dad's.
Dad died of cancer when I was fifteen.  An ex of mine was in a family that
believed in helping kids through adoption or foster family situations,
where literally dozens of people were children through their home.  My
best friend in high school lived on a three-generation farm.  Another
friend's parents got divorced and both got married to women.  My friends,
_nothing_ is normal in the world that we live in.

Doing that marvel we call the American family is a tricky thing, and you
know - it always has been.  As a child, you get the lot in life that you
get.  Calling one better or another the optimal situation, to me, is
foolishness.

But that's just my opinion.  I could be wrong.
-Drew J

O ^ ^     Drew Johnson - djohnson at snowplow_org - Ld Robert Bartholomew, SCA )
O(_|_) Tengo gusto de comer creyones. -Elian Gonzales, 4/27/00, Goats: the  X
O Check out splat.melm.org (monkey at melm_org) -----------------  comic strip |