Re: Where was I??

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Michael Cade wrote:
> Man is the head of the house stuff - Read Ephesians 5:22-24.  If you
> believe the bible, that makes it pretty clear.

Um, no.  If you believe only that verse, that might be pretty clear, but
even then, you have to keep in mind that Paul (or whoever wrote Ephesians
-- it *is* a matter of some debate) was addressing people within a
specific culture, and was not necessarily laying down the law for all
time.  To believe otherwise, you'd have to insist that it is shameful and
unnatural for men to have long hair, as Paul says in I Corinthians 11.
But I can't think of anyone nowadays who would claim such a thing.

The alleged "clarity" of this verse becomes even more difficult to grasp
when you consider it in conjunction with other verses that speak of
equality between the genders, and so on.  If we are to interpret the
"unclear" verses in light of the "clear" verses, who trumps who?

> Yeah Don, you aren't married and after being married for 16 years, I
> think it actually has to be that way.

Well, FWIW, the married folks I've known in groups like Christians For
Biblical Equality feel differently.

http://www.cbeinternational.org/

> You state what a brilliant man Lewis is but for this one thing.  It
> always seems like we really like something but for this one thing.

Oh, I can think of a *few* blind spots that Lewis had.  :)

> Just because we don't agree doesn't make it wrong.

And just because we agree doesn't make it right, of course.

> That is where so many people IMHO go wrong in the scriptures.  They want
> some parts but not all.

Well, if you know a way of obeying *all* the scriptures at the same time,
please, let us know how such a thing is possible.

> At over 40 and very secure (as opposed to someone who said to believe
> that PK stuff you had to be insecure and young) I have to say you have
> no clue what you are talking about.

Hmmm, I always thought PK was for people who were insecure and *old*.  :)
Well, middle-aged, anyway (which still seems kinda old to me, even if I
happen to be creeping ever closer to it myself).