Re: Do I Offend You? (was Re: +Live+ ect.)

Kelvin said>>I am so stinking tired of being told to watch what I
say because someone might be offended.  When did we
all become such wimps?<<

I don't think that respecting one another is being whimpy. I think that
extending common courtesy to another human being is a good idea. If people
are telling you to watch what you say, what are you saying that they say that
to you?

 >>At the same time I'm told that
if someone offends me I should suck it up and tuff it
out.  Freedom of speech, tolerance and all.<<

If someone offends you, speak out. You have every right to call the person on
it.

 >>Okay.  So
I agree.  From now on if something I say (as long as
it is not done with malicious intent) offends someone
else - tough tonails.<<<

As long as you are willing to have the same in return, then no problem.

>>Are we going to extend Matt and others the same
courtesy that we extend to those who speak out against
Christianity?  Do he and others have the freedom to
voice, even strongly if they choose, their views that
are informed by a Christian worldview?  Even if it
offends someone or hacks someone off?<<<

Sure. We all have a right to speak and to speak up for ourselves.

I find that since Sept.11, nothing's changed. We can't get a consensus on a
e-maill list, how does anyone expect to have one in the much larger, more
complex world? This frustrates and depresses me. I wonder, would you invite
me to your table if I was of another race, another religion, another sexual
orientation than yourself? Would I be welcome in your home? My views don't
coincide with a lot of others here on the list, but I respect them. I don't
think we should have to ask for acceptance from others for our being. We
should be accepted on the fact that we are all beings and we're all just
trying to make our way through this world. Everyone is valuable and has
something valuable to offer, to contribute, to articulate. I am not of the
majority of you here. I am not a Christian in the way most would define it. I
am a feminist. I am of a far left political view. I am not heterosexual. What
I am is human, like you. We all have a right to speak for ourselves and to
define ourselves. We all have a right to be able to tell our stories and to
be heard. Maybe this has nothing to do with previous posts but I've needed to
send this out.

namaste,
Holly