Re: Do I Offend You? (was Re: +Live+ ect.)

--- BlueFlame1971 at aol_com wrote:

> I don't think that respecting one another is being
> whimpy. I think that
> extending common courtesy to another human being is
> a good idea.

True.  But there is a BIG difference between common
courtesy and having to walk on friggin eggshells.  I'm
not talking about calling people names here.  I'm
talking about merely saying what I believe without
being considered an insenstitive something-phobic
jerk, or treated condescendingly because I haven't
grown into full realization of some truth that I'm at
present too stilted to see.

 If people
> are telling you to watch what you say, what are you
> saying that they say that
> to you?

Possibly nothing.  IT doesn't follow from people
telling me to watch what I say that I've said
something wrong.

> If someone offends you, speak out. You have every
> right to call the person on
> it.

That's what I'm talking about!  I've done
that...here...and been told to shut the **** up!
What's good for the goose is not always good for the
gander.

(Haven't we had this discussion before?)

>  >>Okay.  So
> I agree.  From now on if something I say (as long as
> it is not done with malicious intent) offends
> someone
> else - tough tonails.<<<
>
> As long as you are willing to have the same in
> return, then no problem.

Fine.  It's a deal.  See how easy that is. :)

> I find that since Sept.11, nothing's changed. We
> can't get a consensus on a
> e-maill list, how does anyone expect to have one in
> the much larger, more
> complex world? This frustrates and depresses me.

Sadly, my friend, I fear you are right.  People are
indeed people.

> wonder, would you invite
> me to your table if I was of another race, another
> religion, another sexual
> orientation than yourself? Would I be welcome in
> your home?

Well heck yeah.  And that is a huge leap to infer from
my posts that I am some sort of racist, xenophobic,
homophobe.  See, it seems to me that, merely because I
spoke up and appealed for Matt to be given that
"common courtesy" when speaking about listening to
music from a Christian perspective, that you have
tagged me as something that I am not even close to.
Or do I misunderstand.

We all have a right to
> speak for ourselves and to
> define ourselves. We all have a right to be able to
> tell our stories and to
> be heard.

Exactly.  That definitely goes for a homosexual,
feminist, unconventional type Christian woman as much
as it goes for a heterosexual, conservative, male type
Christian.  Doesn't it?

I would love to meet you, actually, and spend time
talking about the 80% of stuff we have in common, and
not all this 20% stuff.

And I really am a nice guy.

KElvin

=====