Re: my boy problems (almost no otr)

In a message dated 12/15/01 1:58:18 PM Eastern Standard Time, youaremorethanyouthinkyouare at yahoo_com writes:

Well I think it is all in the Scriptures.  I don't
have my Bible in front of me right now, but for women
there is an excellent set of verses in the end of
Proverbs on what a noble wife is like.

I assume you were talking about Proverbs 31:10-31?  I must say that although I love the book of Proverbs, I have some trouble interpreting this passage literally.  Although I do have some insights.  It must be remembered that this book is written by a father who seeks to provide advice for his son.  So this is primarily advice for a young mn as to what to look for in a woman.  This of course relates to the gender identity that should be assumed by the woman who seeks a husband?  And although it seems to present a very conservative view of the "wifely" duties, I can't help but notice the inclusion amidst all of the serving imagery is verse 16 in which the wife is shown as a woman of means who holds personal business acumen.

At the same time, the passage has a vast amount of culturally relevant symbolism that could be easily misread.

BUT...

What I really wanted to mention was Proverbs 31:6-7

"Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts (also translated 'bitter of heart').  Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more."

Take that teetotaling Grandfather!

Steve from Michigan