Catchin' up

All you beautiful, musical people,

     I apologize for being so inaccessible all day long.  My inbox, as
Liesel surmised, was indeed full.  I deleted a TON of messages last night,
but was flooded with listee, junk, and powderworks (midnight oil) mail
today.  I think MSN hates me, 'cause they used to clean out my inbox for me,
but are now pulling the plug.
     Anyway, I've yet to be chased away, though there are times when I think
I should leave the list.  I have no computer access at work, and only have
time to read about a third of the messages I get.  Just now, while manually
cleaning out my inbox, I discovered messages from Ysoie (re: "Fredless) and
Alyssa (re: Taft) that I never knew I'd received.  (Thanks, btw.)
     But, being on a list like this is probably a desperate attempt to curb
the biting loneliness that I spend most of my time convincing myself I don't
really suffer from.  If I left now, I'd have to face up to it, wouldn't I?
      Anyway, I want to respond to the things said on the list Friday, which
I just read at the archives:
     Dan T:  "close-minded and open eyed"  just means that I'm willing to
discuss with others any issues regarding Christianity, but I cannot condone
an open and public effort to attack or subvert it, be it under the guise of
art or scholarly research or whatever.
    I'll admit, it does appear Ed K. is working through a bad experience he
had with Christianity.  However, just because he has issues with the faith
doesn't mean the whole church/religion is a lie.  To react as such is at the
least narcissistic and just plain wrong.  Doug Pinnick has had definite
problems with Christianity, for instance, and I've yet to hear him discount
the whole religion, though he has said he doesn't necessarily believe in it.
  That, I can deal with.  (Though it makes me sad.)
     Perhaps I am limiting myself, but we are all limited by numerous
things: the law, societal rules, the mortal coil, inhibitions etc.  Belief
in absolute truth involves placing limitations on behaviors that violate
that truth, else life would be a free-for-all.  I know, we are just talking
about music here, for which the act of listening does not encompass sin,
but, with the number of other restrictions imposed on me every moment of
every day, music is among  the least of my concerns.  I've managed to amass
a rather large CD collection without buying anything by the Beatles, and am
perfectly happy.
     But I'd be happier than any Beatles CD could ever hope to make me if I
could just work up the nerve to take up nude hang-gliding- see what I mean?
(You will ignore the pun.)
     Fred:  See above.  Also, the music I listen to isn't about me, nor does
it completely reflect and affirm my worldview 100% of the time.  Please,
let's discuss the fine line distinction between "propaganda" and "art".  If
I form a "skin-head" band, and sing about white supremacy, is it art because
I've worded my racism poetically and set it to music?  Can't art and
propaganda intersect?
    Liesel:  I was touched by your rather emotional explanation of what Live
means to you on a personal level.  I hope you continue to find solace in the
music.
    Rhys:  Bless you, you are a sweet and special person.  Even if God
didn't love you, I sure would.  BTW, what are the chances of you ever
teaching "listee computer camp" 'cause, yu know, I'm like totally willing to
relocate...someday.(?)
    Everyone:  The intersection of the spiritual and the sexual is real, but
exclusive of raw lust for lust's own sake.  Some of the language on Live's
records is a bit too lascivious for my tastes, yes, but your points were
well taken.  Please, explain that "Likeni's (sp?) Juice" video to me.  It
just looked like a soft-porn video to my conservative eyes.  Really, I'm
interested in knowing what it represented both to you all and in relation to
the lyrics, 'cause I AM open minded after all.
    Oh, and I love you all!
    Ysobelle:  Again, I inadvertently offend. Point taken, but my
admonishment wasn't necessarily directed to you.
    Also, you win!  I've decided to read "the Hobbit".  Thanks.
    Kelvin and Jessyka:  I really apologize to you guys for wasting your
time typing me messages I'll never see.  I should be flogged.  Please
resend, and feel free to use soberman01 at webtv_net or soberman71 at yahoo_com as
backups in the future.  I apologize profusely.
    I wish I could have taken those dumb "thank yous" with me and left them
stranded in the MSN negaverse.  Would that I could...
    I think that about covers it.  Except that I don't want to talk about
Live anymore. (Except for the video, and I promise to just listen, not
criticize.)  I really, honestly have no desire to further scrutinize a band
that some of my fellow listees hold dear, and I've said all there is to say.
    Pardon any stream of consciousness rambling above, as the hour is late.

Still here,

Matt