Re: gender stuff (and food!)

dasmith at rotse2_physics.lsa.umich.edu writes:

>>But then, on the other hand, I'm still single, so what do I know?  If
Bethany
>>and the Promise Keepers are right, though, I'd rather be alone.  Like
>>Puddleglum, I'd rather hold to my ideal than accept an unpalatable claim
about
>>reality.  But I'm not ready to despair yet.

*grin*  Well put.
Nice job of not ranting, too, btw....  (It's tough sometimes, hmm?)

But: (What I was trying to convey in my own response to Kristen, yesterday:)
From her p.o.v., it works.  I'd be willing to bet GREAT sums of money that
she's young.  And I predict that the experiences she will have sooner or
later will convince her that her current philosophy won't work.  But these
are not things that we can TELL her, as reasonable as they sound, and as
eloquent as we try to be while containing our ranting... she just has to live
them and find it all out on her own, I think.

Promise Keepers and the like seem VERY reassuring to people (male and female)
who are insecure about their own roles in the world.  Especially young people
who are newly on their own, who are just starting to grasp how big the world
is, how many options are out there, and looking for someone to give them
rules to follow to help it all make sense.  And maybe if we were all the sort
of people who could put blinders on and blissfully follow those rules
forever, it might work... who knows....

But thank the dear Lord (and I mean that quite literally) that we're NOT, yes?
Anita